Feed Question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Dec 22, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This is a brand that my local feed mill started carrying, now I usually get the 18% Caprine Challenger by Blue Seal but this was a "steal" at $11.00 per 50#

It is made by Kalmbach feeds out of Sandusky Ohio

16% Textured Goat Feed and is a complete diet with Selenium, Copper, Iodine, Vit's A,E and D it also contains Ammonium Chloride which is a plus for my boys and also contains DE or Diatomaceous Earth.

It's main sources as "food" are as follows:
    heat processed rolled corn
    cracked corn
    wheat middlings
    soybean meal
    heat processed soybeans
    heat processed barley
    flax meal
    alfalfa meal, ammonium chloride, DE, Vegetable fat, Biotin, Thiamine, magnesium, calcium carbonate, potassium

I mixed 1/4 of this with 3/4 of the regular grain to adjust them , now...what do you think, those of you who buy "goat specific" feed, with what is in it as well as the price, if this was available to you, would you buy it?
  2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    I cant comment about the pricing but it looks good. I would probably buy it to use on the older stock, I would stick with the 18% protein for the kidlets and weaners, up to about 12 mths then I would switch them back to the 16%.

We cant get goat specific feed here, my goats eat calf pellets

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I use a 16% for all my goats all year round. I amnot good with knowing all that is the best for goats feed wise. If they eat it and dont seem to loose condition, I say go for it
  4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would definitely use it. Our goats are on a lower protein grain, I think it's 14% - they do great on it, but they also have alfalfa.

That's pretty much all the stuff I mix in my milking does' grain, minus the DE and ammonium chloride.
  5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    it sounds pretty good.. and that is a steal!! its 14 bucks for 50# of 4 way feed

but i found a kings feed store in redlands right by our house(20 minutes) that has a 4 way type feed, but it made with barley, distillers grains, corn, and has added copper and selenium.. its amazing!! and only 13.95 a bag.. which is pretty good.. the goats love it@
  6. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    Can Goat's have horse Biotin?? My new female goat has horrid hoof's! And how much should i give?
  7. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    That is a great question. Could you make that a topic so others can see the answers too?