The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you familiar with Bovatec treated calf feed to prevent cocci?
I am currently feeding an 18% calf feed to my kids and nursing mama's. They love this feed and are doing well on it, my feed mill also makes this same feed with the Bovatec in it. Would this be a good option for my kids? What do you think? The feed also comes with Larviside for flies ( which I am not crazy about)
I want to do all I can to prevent any of these diseases that have been catching me off guard, and hurting my animals.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Ok, first things first, does the calf feed contain urea? If it does stop feeding it, it's really bad for goats and it is in some calf feeds.

And as far as prevention, I would have your herd tested for disease every year, if any come up positive take action or cull. Also vaccinate them yearly.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
No coccidiea is a parasite, you need to treat that with corid or another treatment.

Urea is used in fertilizer, and cattle feed. It is used in cattle feed because it reduces the amount of protein they need in their diet, so they can do ok on low quality feed.
But goats digest it better than cows do, and can get urea poisoning from it easily.
Symptoms of urea poisoning are, muscle tremors, frothing at the mouth, frequent urination, abdominal pain, tooth grinding, and trouble breathing.
In severe cases, death follows.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
It is better to actually treat for cocci as Little bits said then use a feed choice..with cocci medicated feed you cannot be sure each goat is getting what they need to keep them cocci free, and those who are getting just a bit grow a resistance to the medication making it ineffective against cocci

Sulmet and Dimethox are the top OTC choices..I like Baycox which I order from horseprerace.com.. I treat my kids 1 cc per 5 pounds once at 3 weeks old..if they have cocci symptoms I treat a second time in ten days...I have not had to retreat after that..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you mean if I get Baycox the treatment is one dose 1cc per five pounds?
I have used corrid in the past and that is five days twice a day!

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
Yes, Baycox is 1 cc per 5# of weight one time with no cocci two doses ten days apart for kids with cocci..: ) If your kids do have cocci right now, ordering will take a bit so I would start with OTC meds like dimethox of sulmet and order baycox for future problems..I order two bottles before each kidding season to be ready...
Corid is my last choice in cocci treatment..since its a thiamine inhibitor, there is risk it causing goat polio, care must be given when using it....but if its all you can find then its better than not treating...

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
There you go^^ I couldn't remember what the other ones were called.
I normally use corid because I haven't had an issue with it, and I don't mind doing the 5 day treatment since I'm always out with the goats and it takes less than 5 seconds to treat one goat. Plus it's pretty cheap in $$
The on I have is not a 2X a day on though, just once a day for 5 days. 1cc mix solution per 25#.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I've used medicated goat feed - usually monensin, but the feed I'm using now contains bovatec, I believe, and it works for me. I've had no problems with coccidia. Urea is a good source of protein, but you have to be careful how much you feed or it can cause toxic levels of ammonia to build up in the blood stream. Here is an article about it, I hope it helps. :)

http://www.goatworld.com/articles/urea_toxicity.shtml

1 - 12 of 12 Posts