The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my hopefully pregnant goat in a pen that is attached to a small barn so she has shelter but there is no weeds or anything so I have been giveing her and two other does hay and fresh mowed grass to eat as well as a lil bit of sweet feed a day is that ok someone had told me it wasnt good to give them mowed grass cause they would eat it to quick and get bloat or something so i wanted to check also how much sweet feed shoukd I give them te one bred is half fainting half pygmy and others are Nigerian dwarf an saanen so they are smaller

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
With the grass that's OK. Just start out with a small amount and feed hay first. Keep baking soda out for them :) as for how much grain you'll have to wait on someone else to answer I have no clue

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks !! Just regular baking soda ? No certain amount ?

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Fresh lawn clippings aren't best for them.

They need roughage hay fed to them. Alfalfa and oat hay or something equivalent. Feed oat hay in the morning and Alfalfa at night.

How far along are your Does in pregnancy?

I feed sweet feed the last month of pregnancy to prevent milk fever. 1x a day, they don't need a lot.
You don't want them too fat.

How is their body condition?

Only give baking soda, if they are bloaty.

Do you have loose salt and minerals out free choice with copper in it?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
The mowed grass clippings from a lawn mower are ok in small amounts, it is wet though so keeping a handful of baking soda in a dish available free choice would be good.
Feed them their hay first to help keep the moisture of the clippings in check, it fills them up too so they don't gorge.
As far as the grain... I don't start feeding grain until my girls are 2 months pregnant and then it is 1 cup once a day until the last month, then I decrease to 1/2 cup once a day til they deliver then slowly up the amounts according to lactation needs. I do feed quality alfalfa/mixed grass hay throughout the entire pregnancy as well as the loose minerals free choice.
My ND does are milked at 3 weeks fresh, those with twins and triplets even quads have a higher milk yield and need the extra grain to keep condition along with production so my girls end up getting a mix of supplements like beet pulp shreds and alfalfa pellets along with 3 cups of 18% goat feed twice a day during lactation.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Fresh lawn clippings aren't best for them.

They need roughage hay fed to them. Alfalfa and oat hay or something equivalent. Feed oat hay in the morning and Alfalfa at night.

How far along are your Does in pregnancy?

I feed sweet feed the last month of pregnancy to prevent milk fever. 1x a day, they don't need a lot.
You don't want them too fat.

How is their body condition?

Only give baking soda, if they are bloaty.

Do you have loose salt and minerals out free choice with copper in it?
I keep regular baking soda out at all times so they can have some when they want it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts