The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 pet goats...one Saanen wether and a LaMancha cross buckling. Both are about 6 months old. I had the most difficult time getting my little Saanen to convert to feed from the bottle. He wouldn't eat much hay or any feed, so I bottle fed him for nearly 4 months until I FINALLY got him to eat "All Grain" which I get from Tractor Supply. I have tried every type of commercial feed you can think of! He wouldn't eat a pellet in a bag of feed for anything! I've bought pelleted feed, mixed sweet feed, Goat Chow, Noble Goat, Dumor sweet and pellet, a goat feed from the Farmer's Co-op...and neither one of them will touch alfalfa pellets with a 10 foot pole! I have loose minerals out and they have plenty of browse in the pasture. Both of them will only eat the all grain. I've even done the mix from happybleats with the calf manna, oats, boss and beet pulp, etc. They will eat that if I mix with the all grain, but leave the calf manna pellets. I feel they need something with more nutritional value and I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions on how to get them to eat better? They are both in pretty good condition, but I'd like to see my Saanen put on a little more weight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, maybe I should also ask if the grains are ok to feed instead of switching them. I'm just not sure if it is a nutritionally balanced feed and I worry about urinary calculi too.

·
Super Moderator
58,914 Posts
What is in the all grain? How much do you give them per day?

You can buy ammonium chloride from online stores like Hoeggers to help prevent UC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a mixture of corn, oats and barley. Minimum 10% protein, crude fat 2% and crude fiber about 8%. Non-fortified. But they have free choice minerals (manna pro goat mineral from tractor supply), Timothy and mixed hay with plenty of pasture browse. I dewormed with Safeguard about 3 weeks ago and again today with Ivermectin paste 1.87% just because I noticed a few worms in ones droppings today in the barn. Maybe that's why they don't seem to gain weight like I'd like them to.

·
Super Moderator
58,914 Posts
If you noticed the worms in the poop, then you need to use Safeguard or Valbazen. You probably have tapeworm or roundworm. Safeguard should be dosed at 3 times the horse dose if using paste and 1cc per 10 lbs if using the liquid. You should also do it for 3 days in a row. Valbazen is 1cc per 10 lbs. Dose and then retreat in 10 days.

If your goats will eat the Happybleats mixture with the all stock instead of the calf manna, I would do that mix. There is more nutrition that way.

I would also get the ammonium chloride and give it to them a couple times per week for a preventative for UC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I used the safeguard liquid about 3 weeks ago for 3 days in a row and now seeing the worms. He was wormed with Cydectin about 8 weeks before that. I was assuming the same thing as you, but since the safeguard didn't seem really effective, I wanted to rotate, but not sure right off the top of my head if ivermectin treats those particular worms. I had it on hand since I also have horses. I'm going to take a fecal specimen to my vet and just be sure what all I'm dealing with. Thank you again for the input :)

·
Super Moderator
58,914 Posts
That would be best to take a fecal sample in and see what they have. Make sure they also check for coccidia.

Ivomec does nothing for tapeworm or roundworm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts