The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Ok you need to get a weight on them. It says it is 1.67 pounds of feed per 50 pounds. I couldn’t even begin to guess what a little nigi weighs. So grab one of the little ones and jump on a scale. Get his weight and then jump back on without him and get your weight. Subtract your alone weight from what you get with you and baby and that is his weight. If you get their weight we can help you with how much to give.
These guys are being weaned correct? Also new to you? Is this grain what they ate before you got them? I give medicated grain to my kids and I keep them on it till a month after weaning, basically when the stress is done since stress can bring on a high worm and cocci load. Maybe wait and see what others say about that, this is just what I personally do and works for mine. That doesn’t mean it is the right way for everyone to do it.
You mentioned BOSS for their goat. What is going on with their coat? If it is very rough there may be a underlining issue that needs to be addressed. They may have a high worm load or they may need copper. Or are you just wanting to keep them with a nice coat?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Rotating minerals...
There is a benefit to switching your minerals periodically. I don't know that it must be done every month, but maybe after each bag is finished? I switch up my minerals more than anyone I know. I freely commit mineral infidelity. But I don't do it monthly.

I do agree that 1 cup of alfalfa pellets is a good amount.

@goathiker and @Jessica84 have a good point about keeping them on the grain until weaning is through. I don't do that with my herd because I don't start the grain. We do need an accurate weight to help do an accurate measurement for the grain.

I used to use medicated grain, but I won't any more. Jessica does use medicated grain and has a fine herd, so I'll bow to her experience in this. Goathiker knows the science behind everything, I just don't always understand what she drops on me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok you need to get a weight on them. It says it is 1.67 pounds of feed per 50 pounds. I couldn't even begin to guess what a little nigi weighs. So grab one of the little ones and jump on a scale. Get his weight and then jump back on without him and get your weight. Subtract your alone weight from what you get with you and baby and that is his weight. If you get their weight we can help you with how much to give.
These guys are being weaned correct? Also new to you? Is this grain what they ate before you got them? I give medicated grain to my kids and I keep them on it till a month after weaning, basically when the stress is done since stress can bring on a high worm and cocci load. Maybe wait and see what others say about that, this is just what I personally do and works for mine. That doesn't mean it is the right way for everyone to do it.
You mentioned BOSS for their goat. What is going on with their coat? If it is very rough there may be a underlining issue that needs to be addressed. They may have a high worm load or they may need copper. Or are you just wanting to keep them with a nice coat?
I think I'm just going to stay away from the grain all together now since I haven't been giving it regularly anyways but thanks for those tips :) also yes new goat mom here and it has been quite the journey so far! Scary but worth it !

for their history I've had the one since he was 3wks and took over bottle feeding him and the other the day he was born since he was rejected and bottle fed since then, I'd say they are both about 25 pounds! (birth dates are 10/30 and 11/21) and they have both had fecals recently since they both goat into a poisons tree while we were building their new safe enclosure- so since that happened they've had many vet checks including blood and fecals, their coat isn't "shiney" but I also found they had a few lice today which I treated with cylence and replaced all new bedding- could that have anything to do with the way their coat has been looking? Also our weather in Florida has been crazy back and forth from 30-40 F nights for a few days then back to 70s so I don't know if they've been trying to grow some under coat and it's confused lol but also this is why I wanted to get better minerals for them since I know manna pro isn't the best with their levels now, I haven't noticed any true signs like fish tail or anything to make me really worried about a copper issue just yet

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Rotating minerals...
There is a benefit to switching your minerals periodically. I don't know that it must be done every month, but maybe after each bag is finished? I switch up my minerals more than anyone I know. I freely commit mineral infidelity. But I don't do it monthly.

I do agree that 1 cup of alfalfa pellets is a good amount.

@goathiker and @Jessica84 have a good point about keeping them on the grain until weaning is through. I don't do that with my herd because I don't start the grain. We do need an accurate weight to help do an accurate measurement for the grain.

I used to use medicated grain, but I won't any more. Jessica does use medicated grain and has a fine herd, so I'll bow to her experience in this. Goathiker knows the science behind everything, I just don't always understand what she drops on me.
Gotcha ! Perfect so I'll do the sweetlix first then the purina next!

They weigh about 25 pounds so 1 cup each alfalfa pellets once daily still good to give? I just started to introduce the pellets to them so that's while I started at a pretty small amount

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Twice a day, you want them to not quite finish what they have, snacking all day. Remember, it's just hay in a different shape.

Inside the digestive tract are a number of little fingers. Each of these are covered with special cells that grab and take away nutrients.
A new born kid has no fingers at birth, they grow according to diet. Once the kid is a young adult he can't make anymore.
The goal is to have hundreds of little fingers.
The only way to do this is to make sure the kid has enough protein to make them. Hay, especially timothy, is secondary at this point. Timothy is the lowest protein hay there is.
I see way too many goats with giant stretched out rumens, struggling to stuff enough food down their throats so that their stunted little fingers can get enough nutrients.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Since they are already on the bottle, could you keep them on the bottle for another month or 2?

Dam's nurse, when allowed to, for far longer than 2 months. When I started, I weaned at 2 months, because that is what my seller/breeder/mentor told me to do. I did not realize my goats were being stunted. I also did not realize I was filling my herd with her problems... But that's a story for a different day...

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
@B.yusko
Here is an ongoing thread on minerals you may really like reading and participating in.
https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/excellent-minerals-you-know-how-i-love-me-those-minerals.194612/

Alfalfa does not grow readily in Florida, but I hear that something called Perennial Peanut Hay does, or Peanut Hay. That is a legume like alfalfa. Legumes are high in protein and other nutrients. So just an idea.

Timothy is one of the best hays for horses, not so amazing for goats or cattle. It isn't poisonous or anything, just low in protein like goathiker said.

Have you given them their shots? I do recommend both a CD&T, and also a pnuemonia vaccine. We can help with that if you need it.

Finally, a tube of Probiotics is a must to have around. The easiest to find (because it is SO well known) is Probios. Get the kind that says Ruminant, not the kind that says Equine. Almost any feed store is going to have it. I use the gel, in a tube.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Reactions: B.yusko

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
@B.yusko
Here is an ongoing thread on minerals you may really like reading and participating in.
https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/excellent-minerals-you-know-how-i-love-me-those-minerals.194612/

Alfalfa does not grow readily in Florida, but I hear that something called Perennial Peanut Hay does, or Peanut Hay. That is a legume like alfalfa. Legumes are high in protein and other nutrients. So just an idea.

Timothy is one of the best hays for horses, not so amazing for goats or cattle. It isn't poisonous or anything, just low in protein like goathiker said.

Have you given them their shots? I do recommend both a CD&T, and also a pnuemonia vaccine. We can help with that if you need it.

Finally, a tube of Probiotics is a must to have around. The easiest to find (because it is SO well known) is Probios. Get the kind that says Ruminant, not the kind that says Equine. Almost any feed store is going to have it. I use the gel, in a tube.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Let us know if you have any further questions.
Thanks for the link I'll check it out!

Is the peanut for protein beucase I said I'd stop with the grain now? I'm giving the alfalfa because everyone was telling me they need the calcium in it, I'm honestly not a fan of any of the feed stores near me- I have gotten a bad bail of hay I had to pull so now I get the compressed Timothy's from TSC and they look the best and the goats have been doing great off it, maybe I should look back into what @Jessica84 was teaching me about the correct amount of the medicated feed to give if they need the protein after all? Idk I thought they truly only need their hay and minerals to be good now I'm shorting them protein? :( I will continue to give their one bottle a day for a while which I have no problem doing, and I'm waiting to weather them till 6 months

For the probiotics, I have the powder I have used in their water before and in their bottle when they were sick for 24 hours, I can pick up the gel next time I'm at TSC but when to use it? Only after vaccines? I thought the vitamin b gel I got is what I would use if they were seeming off or stressed, or is probios given like once monthly?

I know the younger has not had any vaccines, and not sure about the one I got when he was 3 weeks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Twice a day, you want them to not quite finish what they have, snacking all day. Remember, it's just hay in a different shape.

Inside the digestive tract are a number of little fingers. Each of these are covered with special cells that grab and take away nutrients.
A new born kid has no fingers at birth, they grow according to diet. Once the kid is a young adult he can't make anymore.
The goal is to have hundreds of little fingers.
The only way to do this is to make sure the kid has enough protein to make them. Hay, especially timothy, is secondary at this point. Timothy is the lowest protein hay there is.
I see way too many goats with giant stretched out rumens, struggling to stuff enough food down their throats so that their stunted little fingers can get enough nutrients.
So to clarify 2 cups a day? I just know the alfalfa exspands so I get nervous, they are little piggy's so should I work my way up to this amount so they don't chug it all down then have tummy problems?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
OK... First of all, you are doing fantastic. So take a deep breath. It's all fine. I'll work through what you've asked to try to clarify for you. Hold on.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
So to clarify 2 cups a day? ... should I work my way up to this amount so they don't chug it all down then have tummy problems?
Were they mine, yes. I would start where you have started and work your way up to that level over about, say, a week?
Is the peanut for protein beucase I said I'd stop with the grain now?
No, not at all. This is a hay/hay thing, not a hay/grain thing. I was suggesting a different roughage, more ruminant friendly, that's all.
alfalfa because everyone was telling me they need the calcium in it
Alfalfa is high in calcium, but it is ALSO high in protein (and other nutrients, too). As you continue, you will find that alfalfa is not always a blessing. We aren't trying to confuse you.
I'm honestly not a fan of any of the feed stores near me
I encourage you to find at least one to build a relationship with. As you learn more what you want/need and what might be available, a feed store can be your best friend in getting what you want. That does take time, and yes, bad products can happen along the way. But I don't see any way to do without them, so cultivating them seems the answer to me.
I get the compressed Timothy's from TSC and they look the best and the goats have been doing great off it
There is nothing wrong with you getting the best you can, the best you know. But hay is one of those things that it really is best to get from a farmer, rather than a feed store. You pay a lot more at feed stores. May I suggest you look in Craigslist? Look in your newspaper? find someone who has dairy cattle or horses and just stop and ask them, "where do you get your hay? I need some quality hay and don't know where to start."
maybe I should look back into what @Jessica84 was teaching me about the correct amount of the medicated feed to give
There is nothing wrong with that if this is what you want. I don't, and I have good goats. Others do, and they have good goats. Total overall feed management is what needs to be looked at. You have the bag and two knowledgeable people have told you it's OK if managed properly. You are all good there. Grain is high in phosphorus, so keep that in mind because you will still need the calcium to balance that.
I thought they truly only need their hay and minerals to be good now I'm shorting them protein?
At 2 months old, most babies are still getting a lot of protein from mother's milk. As I said, dam's don't naturally wean this early. Hay can also have a lot of protein. Some doesn't (Timothy doesn't) Grain can have a lot of protein. Some doesn't (Corn doesn't) You do need protein, but choosing where to get it is the issue here. And well done on knowing you have to have minerals.
I will continue to give their one bottle a day for a while which I have no problem doing
I'm very glad to hear that. 2 bottles a day is good too.
I'm waiting to weather them till 6 months
They'll be really buckish by then. I'd wether at 3 months, 4 at the very latest. Be certain you get both testicles. They are still a buck with 1 testicle and they don't make the greatest of pets.
I have the powder I have used in their water before and in their bottle when they were sick for 24 hours
The powder is fine. I like the gel.
when to use it
Any time there is something happening with the digestive system (like you've treated for parasites) or they've been ill, or they've had antibiotics, or they are stressed, or they are in danger of Enterotoxemia. If they ever aren't hungry when they SHOULD be hungry, they get a squirt of Probios (remember, I use the gel)
I thought the vitamin b gel I got is what I would use if they were seeming off or stressed
B vitamins help, but they help different things, in different ways. The only good way to give them is by injection, not by gel, and if you ever use Corid to treat for coccidia, then you can't use them at all because they contain vitamin B-1 (thiamin) which prevents the Corid from working
the younger has not had any vaccines, and not sure about the one I got when he was 3 weeks
Both of them need their shots then, If you have questions about what to give, then just ask. I'd rather not add a completely new thing to this already article length post.

Hugs! You are doing great.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What do you mean by rotate minerals monthly? Thanks !!
I have never heard of rotating minerals monthly. I use Pro Manna minerals for my goats. I cannot offer the minerals free choice because of the extremely high humidity here in south Texas.
WHEN USING ACV, I'VE HEARD YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO USE VINEGAR WITH THE MOTHER. Any thoughts on this?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts