The Goat Spot Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I have never heard of rotating minerals monthly. I use Pro Manna minerals for my goats. I cannot offer the minerals free choice because of the extremely high humidity here in south Texas.
WHEN USING ACV, I'VE HEARD YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO USE VINEGAR WITH THE MOTHER. Any thoughts on this?
I think, don't know, that it is to keep the goats interested and just in case mineral mixture is a little different you may fill in the lacking mineral by changing.
I have hear that the ACV with the mother is best because nothing has been filtered out. Some swear by it, some don't.
Free choice minerals are best, just put out enough for one day at a time. Also get a good weathershed mineral. Low humidity here is 75% average is about 90%.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
E4184B1D-2F6A-4288-9E1A-39B9A15E6E3A.png
I have never heard of rotating minerals monthly. I use Pro Manna minerals for my goats. I cannot offer the minerals free choice because of the extremely high humidity here in south Texas.
WHEN USING ACV, I'VE HEARD YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO USE VINEGAR WITH THE MOTHER. Any thoughts on this?
I use this one from rual king right now, I'll be switching to a larger size but still includes the mother in it from Walmart next and it's still organic, my boys love it actually just the way it comes, everything I've heard and read is to use the one "with the mother" as well.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
View attachment 145899
I use this one from rual king right now, I'll be switching to a larger size but still includes the mother in it from Walmart next and it's still organic, my boys love it actually just the way it comes, everything I've heard and read is to use the one "with the mother" as well.
There may be a way to get even larger than a one gallon jug at a time, some on here talk about getting their ACV wholesale.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
There may be a way to get even larger than a one gallon jug at a time, some on here talk about getting their ACV wholesale.
Do you know if it truly has to be "store in refrigerator after opening" ? I have been now, but if I get larger sizes that may not fit in our fridge haha

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I believe some rotate minerals for a more complex mineral range. It helps to avoid deficiencies because of the variety. We have bad humidity here, but I like this feeder: https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=AEBC122A-94BC-4521-B490-9BD767362084 - It keeps minerals flowing and doesn't let them get as humid. But it's pretty important to feed free choice minerals. And if you don't have that ability, something like replamin plus might work better than just feeding loose minerals in a controlled way. But really, feeding free choice minerals (as well as kelp: https://thegivinggoat.home.blog/2019/02/05/supplementing-goats-with-kelp-meal/) IS REALLY IMPORTANT.

And yes, Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, containing the 'mother', is best.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I believe some rotate minerals for a more complex mineral range. It helps to avoid deficiencies because of the variety. We have bad humidity here, but I like this feeder: https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=AEBC122A-94BC-4521-B490-9BD767362084 - It keeps minerals flowing and doesn't let them get as humid. But it's pretty important to feed free choice minerals. And if you don't have that ability, something like replamin plus might work better than just feeding loose minerals in a controlled way. But really, feeding free choice minerals (as well as kelp: https://thegivinggoat.home.blog/2019/02/05/supplementing-goats-with-kelp-meal/) IS REALLY IMPORTANT.

And yes, Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, containing the 'mother', is best.
I have given them free choice Manna Pro before, but it was wasted because the high humidity caused it to become very moist, and then my goats refused to eat them. The minerals stayed in the feeder container and not ever touched by them. Essentially, I was wasting the minerals by having to throw them out.
Does this feeder help prevent the moisture from getting in the minerals? I can check Replamin Plus, as maybe that would be a better option for us. I have used Kelp before, but my goats are not thrilled with eating it. I have tried horse mineral block, but they only used it some.
I have never refrigerated my ACV, but would be interested to know if anyone else does.
I also give my goats garlic cloves.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I have given them free choice Manna Pro before, but it was wasted because the high humidity caused it to become very moist, and then my goats refused to eat them. The minerals stayed in the feeder container and not ever touched by them. Essentially, I was wasting the minerals by having to throw them out.
Does this feeder help prevent the moisture from getting in the minerals? I can check Replamin Plus, as maybe that would be a better option for us. I have used Kelp before, but my goats are not thrilled with eating it. I have tried horse mineral block, but they only used it some.
I have never refrigerated my ACV, but would be interested to know if anyone else does.
I also give my goats garlic cloves.
Great! Garlic is wonderful!!!!! And yes, the feeder does protect it from moisture. It holds the minerals in a storage area and flows them out when they get lower. On extremely humid days (rain for days straight etc.), the top where the minerals are eaten from can get a bit damp, but just take a finger and mix it and it's all dry again! Good as new!!!!

I don't refrigerate my apple cider vinegar.

Sometimes kelp takes a while for them to get used to. They also eat it as they need, sometimes they have more deficiencies and will eat a lot more. You might want to consider giving them kelp again.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great! Garlic is wonderful!!!!! And yes, the feeder does protect it from moisture. It holds the minerals in a storage area and flows them out when they get lower. On extremely humid days (rain for days straight etc.), the top where the minerals are eaten from can get a bit damp, but just take a finger and mix it and it's all dry again! Good as new!!!!

I don't refrigerate my apple cider vinegar.

Sometimes kelp takes a while for them to get used to. They also eat it as they need, sometimes they have more deficiencies and will eat a lot more. You might want to consider giving them kelp again.
Thank you for all of the great information. I can definitely try kelp again. The feeder sounds like a good answer for feeding them minerals. We have around 94% humidity tonight, and very soon will be moving to western Washington State....low humidity but tons of rain.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I second the suggestion of a different mineral... There are some really good ones out there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
That is a medicated feed and should be fed at directed feed rate. From what I have (possibly) learned on here, the medicated feeds should never be fed at lower amounts because it will create "super" bugs. The medication is for coccidia which all goats have, you don't want to make a resistant strain.
I, personally, mix ammonium chloride with my goats minerals. It is mixed at one and a half pounds of ammonium chloride to twenty-five pounds of mineral, as to what @mariarose taught me. The Purina Wind and Rain Storm is a very good
mineral that Tractor Supply sells.
View attachment 145587
Also another Purina
View attachment 145589
I put water out that has a couple of splashes of Apple Cider Vinegar per eight quart bucket. My water is municipal water supply and has some lime and some iron to it. The ACV combats the lime. The goats quit drinking the plain tap water. When temperature gets 90*F and above I put out electrolytes mixed in water, also.
@Dwarf Dad question for you!
So I have gotten the rain and wind all season, the calcium ratio isn't 2:1 but since I feed alfalfa pellets now aswell that should balance everything right?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
That is the way I see it. That is what I am doing, too.
I have a wether that went through urinary calculi, almost died very painful and had surgery so I also mix the ammonium chloride in the minerals and ad ACV to their water. The ACV may help with stones directly, I don't know, it definetly entices them to drink more water which in turn will help keep urinary tract flushed. Just an ounce per gallon will work, mayne two ounces.

Reactions: B.yusko

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
ACV, the new/ old wonder drug lol

What it doesn't do: Acidify the system, dissolve stones, contain a plethora of vitamins minerals and amino acids. Mercola has the research on it.

What it does do: Help properly digest minerals contained in plants.

Really a very simple thing that does a lot of good. It doesn't need all the fake hype.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
ACV, the new/ old wonder drug lol

What it doesn't do: Acidify the system, dissolve stones, contain a plethora of vitamins minerals and amino acids. Mercola has the research on it.

What it does do: Help properly digest minerals contained in plants.

Really a very simple thing that does a lot of good. It doesn't need all the fake hype.
Good, now I do know. Thank you!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts