The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I dropped my first doe off to be bred today. I'm so excited about having kids next year but I'm a little concerned with feeding. She's a very easy keeping doe and I don't want her to get fat or risk toxemia then ketosis. So what is a good ration to keep moderate sized kids at birth and keep risk of toxemia down?

Right now I have her on 1/4th quart of Honor Show Chow feed (about to switch to noble goat) and half a flake of Bermuda hay along with lots of browse (we are surrounded by woods so she'd rather have greens than hay). I don't have a problem with my show goats but this whole breeding thing is very new to me.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I raise nigerians and only my does in milk and growing kids get a grain ration... everyone during winter will get a small grain ration once a day along with mixed grass hay.
I have found in the last few years that my pregnant does have had normal sized kids when I use the feed schedule I use now... bred does start getting 1 cup of 18% once a day at 60 days bred...at 120 days I cut it back to half a cup but also ensure they get enough alfalfa pellets for the calcium, once they deliver I up the grain to accomodate milk production.
Kids develop the important body systems between day 60 and 120, after that all they do is grow and giving too much grain to the doe can make the kids grow too large to deliver healthily

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My bred girls don't get grain at all. I feed good quality grass/alfalfa hay only. As they move forward and become heavy bred, I check them daily to make sure they are not hollowed out in front of the hips. If so, then I increase their hay ration by a pound or two and keep watching. They have access to minerals free choice and all the fresh water they want.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I think I will cut her grain some but also introduce alfalfa pellets in a couple months. Is there any other way to insure she gets the correct amount of calcium? Also, does anyone have suggestions on toxemia prevention and treatment (or links to read) ... I have heard so many horror stories so this is my biggest fear. She was bred September 19th/20th so she is due February 16th/17th.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts