feed ration

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by u4ea, Dec 26, 2008.

1. u4ea

u4ea Guest

Dec 12, 2008
    I am feeding my mini la manchas alfalfa pellets, coastal bermuda and oats. Two are still milking& pregnant.One is pregnant not in milk. None of which are at 90 days.I also have one buck. These last two get about 1-2 cups of oats. Do I feed the does more oats through the pregnancy? Do I increase all three aspects? My study in protien is that I need the oats( a grain) to make a complete protien. But do I increase it ,and by how much in relation to the pellets and hay? Trying To Learn More!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what I usualy do is increase the amount of grain as they get closer to kidding. But you epecially want to increase it during the middle of pregnancy because that is when the most growth/development happends.

3. u4ea

u4ea Guest

Dec 12, 2008
    Thank you. Up to about how much? the first pound for milking ? What is too much?
    I am trying to monitor them with a weigh tape ,is that sufficeint for the first three months? And I hear that a fat girl is just as unhealthy as a skinney one :help:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have nigerians so not exactly the same breed but close. THe most I give them while pregnantis 2 cups of grain. I also feed a supplement so I dont have to feed as much as most people do so adjust if you see your doe needing more.

Yes you dont want her to get too fat. But roundness around her middle doesnt mean fat. Fat is when the shoulders and rump have fat deposits.