The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions on a good grain to feed my breeding does and bucks. Mainly just like a maintenance feed that they get daily. They are fed free choice alfalfa and free choice sweetlix meat maker mineral. What do you guys feed? They are Boer does and bucks (weather bred). TIA!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
We feed a 16.5% sweet feed. I studied different feed labels that I heard great things about and worked with the nutritionist at our local mill to create our own mix. We save a lot of money this way.

If you can, I highly recommend seeking out a local mill near you that can help you customize grain. They can be invaluable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We feed a 16.5% sweet feed. I studied different feed labels that I heard great things about and worked with the nutritionist at our local mill to create our own mix. We save a lot of money this way.

If you can, I highly recommend seeking out a local mill near you that can help you customize grain. They can be invaluable.
Thank you! I have been considering my local feed mill.

Has anyone mixed their own with the purina supplements?

https://www.purinamills.com/goat-feed/products/detail/purina-goat-charge-concentrate

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
I feed purina goat grower, from tractor supply, it has ammonium chloride in it for the bucks and is 16% protein. Good for all.
Or if you can get something else similar, you can.

I steer away from molasses grain, it can mold to quickly under certain conditions.

Always slowly introduce new feed.

I also feed Alfalfa hay.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I use goat grower till yearling. Then blend over to Big V show feed which is a mill in Shawnee..not far from us. It is an 18% protien blend that keeps my herd healthy and reproducing easily and healthy. I supplement with duraferm minerals..and 14% to 16% hay in winter. Summer they get full pasture access. I only feed alfalpha for lactating does. They need that extra boost. Fighting off worm load/ loss of blood /and kid delivery stress along with milk production.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I use goat grower till yearling. Then blend over to Big V show feed which is a mill in Shawnee..not far from us. It is an 18% protien blend that keeps my herd healthy and reproducing easily and healthy. I supplement with duraferm minerals..and 14% to 16% hay in winter. Summer they get full pasture access. I only feed alfalpha for lactating does. They need that extra boost. Fighting off worm load/ loss of blood /and kid delivery stress along with milk production.
How do you like Duraferm? I absolutely love their minerals!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feed purina goat grower, from tractor supply, it has ammonium chloride in it for the bucks and is 16% protein. Good for all.
Or if you can get something else similar, you can.

I steer away from molasses grain, it can mold to quickly under certain conditions.

Always slowly introduce new feed.

I also feed Alfalfa hay.
I also feed alfalfa and the Purina grower to my bucks and growing kids/creep feed! They do awesome on it.

My does is that I'm trying to figure out. Purina runs $18-22 a bag in my area so feed would is half my expenses.

IMG_4507.jpg

My local feed mill sells this for super cheap but I'm not so sure how good it is. What do you think? (Feeding Boer does)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts