Feed recommendations

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by -WBoergoats, Jun 17, 2020.

1. -WBoergoats

-WBoergoats New Member

May 19, 2020
    Utah
    Looking for suggestions on a good grain to feed my breeding does and bucks. Mainly just like a maintenance feed that they get daily. They are fed free choice alfalfa and free choice sweetlix meat maker mineral. What do you guys feed? They are Boer does and bucks (weather bred). TIA!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    We feed a 16.5% sweet feed. I studied different feed labels that I heard great things about and worked with the nutritionist at our local mill to create our own mix. We save a lot of money this way.

If you can, I highly recommend seeking out a local mill near you that can help you customize grain. They can be invaluable.

3. -WBoergoats

-WBoergoats New Member

May 19, 2020
    Utah
    Thank you! I have been considering my local feed mill.

Has anyone mixed their own with the purina supplements?

https://www.purinamills.com/goat-feed/products/detail/purina-goat-charge-concentrate

4. -WBoergoats

-WBoergoats New Member

May 19, 2020
    Utah
    Also If I called my local feed mill and asked them about a goat grain is there anything In particular I should make sure it would have in it?

5. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I am curious as well if any body has mixed their own with purina supplements!

Moers kiko boars and -WBoergoats like this.
  6. -WBoergoats

-WBoergoats New Member

May 19, 2020
    Utah
    Same here! I’m thinking about mixing it with some other grains from my feed mill since they only have dairy goat feed with no ammonium chloride..

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  7. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I feed purina goat grower, from tractor supply, it has ammonium chloride in it for the bucks and is 16% protein. Good for all.
    Or if you can get something else similar, you can.

I steer away from molasses grain, it can mold to quickly under certain conditions.

Always slowly introduce new feed.

I also feed Alfalfa hay.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  9. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Are you guys referring to the Purina High Octane top dress supplements or something else?

We’ve used Power Fuel and really liked it. We might start up again for our growing bucklings.

10. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I use goat grower till yearling. Then blend over to Big V show feed which is a mill in Shawnee..not far from us. It is an 18% protien blend that keeps my herd healthy and reproducing easily and healthy. I supplement with duraferm minerals..and 14% to 16% hay in winter. Summer they get full pasture access. I only feed alfalpha for lactating does. They need that extra boost. Fighting off worm load/ loss of blood /and kid delivery stress along with milk production.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. CountyLineAcres

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    How do you like Duraferm? I absolutely love their minerals!

12. -WBoergoats

-WBoergoats New Member

May 19, 2020
    Utah
    I also feed alfalfa and the Purina grower to my bucks and growing kids/creep feed! They do awesome on it.

My does is that I’m trying to figure out. Purina runs $18-22 a bag in my area so feed would is half my expenses.

IMG_4507.jpg

My local feed mill sells this for super cheap but I’m not so sure how good it is. What do you think? (Feeding Boer does)

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Not near as good as purina goat grower, which also has ammonium chloride. ;)

Iluvlilly! and -WBoergoats like this.