The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have experience with a supplement called Hard Keeper? It has lactic acid bacteria in it along with the other weight gain stuff. I was just curious if it was any good at helping put weight on and keep it up...for an old horse that has some weight issues. It's a powder so nit sure how fresh it would be

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. He has grass hay at all tines and he is separated to get some alfalfa and grain mix daily. We currently add a fat supplement to his grain. He is sorta maintaining but going into winter I worry bout him. I had just seen this hard keeper stuff and didn't know if it would help or not. I've not used the red cell with him...

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,343 Posts
I've never had much luck with beet pulp, it's mostly just fiber. Higher fat is what finally helped my mare - not super high, the stuff she's getting now is only 6% but it really helps. Rice bran is what I first tried that made a difference over everything else I'd been using. Every horse is different though.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have any experience with it but I would try it if you think it will help.
That's just it...I don't know if it would help. From what I know of the la bacteria they don't stay active under certain conditions and I am thinking this would be one of those conditions

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O M G!!!! I was just out with the horses and my old Cyclone is as fat as we have ever had him!!!! Do believe we can just continue what we are doing because it's obviously working!!! He has barely a half inch of backbone showing...and that's feeling for it not just looking (his winter coat pretty much hides it). He is looking so good!! Can you tell I'm a tad bit excited about it??? For those that don't know, we got him as a freebie 2 years ago after his owners ran out of feed. He's about 17 hands and was a good 500 pounds underweight. It was awful. We managed to put around 250-300 pounds on him that first summer. Last winter he got strangles and all the weight we had put on dropped right back off. As soon as we could get him out on pasture this last spring, he started putting weight back on. We probably had him at about 100 pounds underweight (could really use more than that going into winter) when he quit eating and I really thought we were going to have to put him down. Discovered daughter was feeding rancid oil (I wouldn't eat my grain either LOL) and once we quit that, he started eating again. He is so close to being "working weight" right now!! I sure wouldn't mind seeing a couple hundred more pounds on him, but I'm super happy with where he is now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts