Feed to Milk- Taste?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by OhCee, May 25, 2010.

1. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Hey guys, My aunt wanted to know if feeding goats Lavender would affect the milk taste? I figured it would, but wanted to ask if anyone has done it? Or fed any other herb or specific feed to affect milk taste?

Thanks!

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have no idea about that, but I did not want you to think you were being ignored.

I know someone that lets their goats out in a weedy pasture and lets just say the milk tastes like I am eating the pasture. :shrug:

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Um, not so sure on that. I know when a goat gets into garlic or onions you can certainly taste it in their milk. :p So, I'm assuming it would - probably very minimal though.

I have tried to get my goats to eat some clover-mix hay since I noticed really good tasting milk from goats fed that, they didn't care for it so much though.

4. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Ok, thanks ladies :) My aunt wants to retire to a small orchard and get some goaties :) She's awesomely eclectic like that

5. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Feed always affects milk taste. Our milk always tastes best when we feed alfalfa and grass hay mix and dry (not sweet) COB for grain. Our goats forage, but not enough to affect milk taste.

6. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Does anyone else here let their goats forage and still drink the milk? We don't have to worry about that now, but will next spring (i hope i hope).

7. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Oh yeah-and a big duh here...don't feed them licorice treats if you plan to milk. Hehehe....the milk will DEFINITELY taste bad. Just learned on the first milking experience recently!

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's really wierd how different things affect does in a different manner....lol, waaaay too many "D's" there!
    Anyhow, my girls all get the same sweet goat feed, the same treats , the same clover,timothy, alfalfa mix hay as well as the same pasture for browse....each doe in different stages of lactation has the same sweet , smooth flavor to their milk. Only time I ever noticed a difference was when they found a patch of wild garlic.