feed

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countryboy, Apr 28, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Any comments on home blends. It would be nice to hear from some of ya'll who mix ya'll own feed. What grains and how much do ya'll mix? What supplements do ya'll use?

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I cant get a commercially mixed dairy feed, so I make my own.

All parts by weight
    3 parts lucerne chaff
    1 part oats, barley or what (whole, cracked or steamrolled, but I prefer whole)
    1 part cracked lupins
    1 part bran
    plus a bit of powdered molasses

works out about 18% protein

Also, my damara sheep are tricky to feed because they dont require much protein at all. I cant think off the top of my head what their mix is cos I've only made it a couple times (as opposed to the dairy one which I make all the time. Its something along the lines of

3 parts oaten chaff
    3 parts lucerne chaff
    1 part oats, barley or wheat as above
    1 part bran
    1/2 part cracked lupins
    plus a bit of powdered molasses

works out about 14% protein, I use this pre and post lambing, has the higher protein plus the lucerne for calcium. When they are dry and in early preg. I'll take out the lucerne chaff and replace with oaten chaff to cut the protein down to about 11-12%.

In general - home mixes are slightly more expensive, its fiddly and a bit of a hassle to do (I mix mine in either a wheelbarrow manually or in a cement mixer), and you dont have the added minerals (unless you get a mineral mix and add it in - I dont, just provide blocks). But you can tailor it however you wish, which is a big benefit that I see.

3. GoatGirl

GoatGirl New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Portland, TN
    My goats are on pasture all day, with hay mangers in the barn. Once a day, they are given a mixture of cracked corn and rolled oats. The only reason I give them grain at all is so they will come when I yell. I think feeding too much grain type feed causes too many foot problems (at least with my little ones) I throw some sunflower seeds in for my bucks (they love it). Again though, I don't give much each at all.