The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I starte new feed yesterday rolled oats, molasses flavored beet pulp, and boss, I'm going to add barley next week. My girls have gotten sooo skinny no worms either I think the babies and milk production has taken its tole I also have been sprinkling loose minerals in too to make sure they get thin since one of them knocks over the bin for them daily. Any other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
1,524 Posts
I'm a big believer in Rice Bran in some form.

My does are big milk producers. I have to milk them twice (sometimes 3 times) a day even when the kids are on them. They can start to get thin. I feed them their regular feed (a dairy cow pellet and alfalfa pellets) and add soaked beet pulp and rice bran. They stay at a nice healthy weight and look great.

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
I starte new feed yesterday rolled oats, molasses flavored beet pulp, and boss, I'm going to add barley next week. My girls have gotten sooo skinny no worms either I think the babies and milk production has taken its tole I also have been sprinkling loose minerals in too to make sure they get thin since one of them knocks over the bin for them daily. Any other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot
This is my feed mix. There are a couple things. The 3 ingredients (oats, barley, and beet pulp) must be mixed equally by weight and If you are not feeding alfalfa hay or alfalfa pellets, you must mix it at least half and half with alfalfa pellets.
By itself, it is not a balanced ration. it is 1:1 by itself, mixed half and half with alfalfa pellets it comes out 3:1. The alfalfa also makes up for the lack of vitamins A and D in the beet pulp and barley.
The barley is higher in carbs then the BOSS. You may not need to spend the extra money. Or just use BOSS as a treat grain.
Molasses slows the rumen so you don't want extra molasses in the beet pulp. It already has some naturally.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok - I have been trying to cross over to grain from dairy ration. It's got to be 16% protien or higher. Right now we do- free choice alfalfa, and then a ration of wheat, oats, (equal parts) BOSS (1/3:1) ratio.
I have recently found Purina goat charge 35% protein and is made to balance grain rations for dairy goats. In my area it's 20.00 for 50lb bag.
If you're using grain you've got to balance their protein by carbohydrates too in order to avoid milk fever and Ketosis etc.

I'm feeding one lb a day of grain plus a 1/4 cup of goat charge. They still act as if they aren't getting enough. I was feeding 2lbs a day of dairy ration adm goat power 16% and alfalfa hay----had a doe with two kids go down with Ketosis -doubled the ration and she recovered.

My goats are dry lot fed, and I bring everything to them. I think that is why I have to feed more but- I worry about over and under feeding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts