The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now my goats are on Noble Goat. But I wonder if making the switch to alfalfa pellets would provide better nutrition?

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
no it wouldnt.

Processed goat feeds have minerals, proteins and fiber as well as other grains. Alfalfa pellets dont have all that.

Not all goats do need grain -- but most do to be happy productive goats. When we switched to no grain we went through cups of loose minerals a DAY! - switched back to a small amount of grain a day and their consumption of minerals decreased and their over all condition improved immensely in less then 2 weeks.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Unless your goats are producing/working hard to where they would need to stay on grain, I would mix alfalfa pellets into their grain. Alfalfa is always a good provider to put weight on goats, and they can benefit from extra calcium. Especially if you have bucks or wethers; they don't need all of the grain additives for their minimal work. A good mixture is what a lot of people use.

·
14,615 Posts
11% might be ok for a non producing animal; not growing, lactating or a buck in rut.
They do need 14-18% for growth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just got my first goat, a 6 month old Boer buck, and I'm feeding him 18%. How much should I be feeding him though?? Right now I'm doing about 1 lb morning and night. Too much, or too little?? He also has plenty of brush to forage.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I just got my first goat, a 6 month old Boer buck, and I'm feeding him 18%. How much should I be feeding him though?? Right now I'm doing about 1 lb morning and night. Too much, or too little?? He also has plenty of brush to forage.
That is too much, IMHO. Too much protein, and too much feed. Cut the protein to about 14%, and cut the feed to 1 lb per day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK thank you. I'll cut him back a little to see how he does. Should I also provide a flake or two of hay per day, or just leave it alone because of all the foliage he has to eat?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
What kind of foliage? If the foliage is weeds and he is eating them well, I might give him a small flake of hay in addition. If the foliage is grass, it is young (as opposed to rank and overgrown) and the protein content is acceptable, I wouldn't bother with the extra hay. The thing you want to watch for is hollowed out in front of the hip bones. That is generally a sign that he is not getting adequate or enough nutrition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts