Feedback on UNWANTED pests

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Oct 22, 2007.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have a mouse problem!!! I have watched them run races back and forth while I'm milking or bedding the kids down for the night. I have tried just about everything. The grain is in a galvanized can with a bungee corded lid and I am getting presents left in the goats feed pans...yuck! I have found these little critters floating in water buckets! I don't want to use poisen because of the goats and I have had cats out there but they are way too dirty, I like cats and have three in my house but the outside kitties tended to dirty in the hay, I have tried glue traps but ended up with birds stuck in them and a bald spot on Bootsie because she found it! Any feedback or suggestions on how you control those nasty lil' things will be appreciated.

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Traps- they do work but you have to reset them frequently- you put the along walls where they run.
    If you want to get rid of them, cats really are the best. But you would need to cat proof the hay room.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I had a bad problem years ago. We used the traditional mouse traps - talk about gross!! I was scared to use them in case I would hurt myself but they worked great. I got rid of like 15 mice in less then 2 weeks!

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks!! :D Looks like I'll be getting a gross of these!! AND hubby will be setting them! I like my fingers the way they are..lol :lol:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah well I would have my brother set them and i had to carry them like 50 yards to the goat shed --- made me nervous!

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I don't like traps due to getting my fingers caught in them, ouch!
    Anywho, if you can find spearmint essential oil take that and put it on cottonballs and put in in the corners of your goat shed. Mice do not like the mint and it works for about 3 months.

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    you can use the box traps...live traps but it would have to be really small....not sure where to take them but they are very humane but it isn't like there aren't enough mice around.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I like the trap idea...and heres one my sister suggested....great having DSL!! I just told her what I was posting and she suggested a coffee can with a small hole in the lid and peanut butter in the bottom...she said shes caught mice this way cause they get in but can't get back out....DUH! Blonde moment here! LOL. Now she drowns whatever she catches...don't think I can do that...so what do ya do with them once they're caught??

9. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    if you use the box/live trap, you can take them miles away from your house and release them or if you use the regular mouse traps that smash them, you can burn them.

10. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    If you don't mind spending a little more money you can get a RatZapper. We have 2 and they are wonderful. It uses D-cell batteries. You put some bait inside and when the mouse/rat goes inside he is instantly zapped. Then you just dump it out. I think it's alot more humane than other methods because it happens fast (My DH and I actually saw a rat go in one and after one short buzzing sound it was done.) This sounds sooo gross, but it's the best thing we've found. No poison or traps that can harm other animals! The website is http://www.ratzapper.com.

11. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    that sounds cool...not saying that killing them is cool but that it zaps instead of smashing them.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oh, I remember another good trap.
    Take a 5 gallon bucket, fill half full with water. Then take a stick and put it through a pop can and put that on the bucket. Then smear peanut butter all over the can and have a wood board for a ramp for the mice. I haven't tried it but I know of people who have and they said you had to change it a couple times a day.
    I personally prefer the mint thing though :)

13. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    On the recommendation here, I might try that zapper thing- I admit I do not like cleaning the traps although the snap-e's are easier than regular traps. Every year at this time giant wood rats come out of the woods here to check into the winter resort of the horse shed- warm and snuggily with all the grain the horses drop- yum.

14. jBlaze

jBlaze Guest

Oct 9, 2007
    So far I have just put up with the cats. Ya, they mess in the stalls and sometimes the hay, but better cat mess than mouse and rat junk, cause you know they're doing it too. I like the idea of teh zapper and the spearmint balls. I really like the spearmint balls. I recently found mice evidence in our tack room, where we keep only the horse tack, and keep it closed cause we don't want cat pee there. ICK. I was so upset wondering what to do to make them go away. I will definetely try the spearmint. Does other mint work?

15. marie_martin

marie_martin Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Grenada, Mississippi
    Rats, ooh!!!

I had a slight problem back in the spring. We have all our food in a seperate stall in containers but I guess a little would get dropped on the stall floor when we fed. So the mice were coming and leaving poo on the tops of the containers and so forth. So I thought about traps but was not happy about that so I bought poison but only put it in the stall where the food is kept and only in an area where the food would not get contaminated. It must have worked, have not seen anymore since. Took a good month and a whole pack of poison. I had the blocks, not the pellets. Just a suggestion if you have an area where the goats can't get to. I also put some in the rafters of the barn over the feed area. Figured that is where they were coming in. I hope you get your rats under control soon.

Marie

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have so many cats, that the mice do not have a chance around my place. Matter of fact, I saw two of my cats coming "home" with mice. They had to go else where because they have gotten all the ones around here.

17. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Marie_martin- I have used poison too-in those locked boxes. But I worry about any cats or dogs who pick up poisoned dead mice or rats. So I would rather trap if possible.

18. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    That's not true, I had pet mice and rats, and if they can get into something. They will find a way out.

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WOW...Alot of very good suggestions!! I had thot of poisen for the mice but having 2 dogs I am leary of the second hand poisonig...and I would worry that the mice would carry the poison to where the goats could get to it. Cats are the best option I know but the farmer up the road has had problems with too many drop offs that basically killed off what healthy cats he had..someone dumped diseased kitties and I wouldn't want to be over run with cats. I think I'll go the cheapest route and get those little spring traps...they'll have to do until they don't work anymore.

20. PixieDustHollow

PixieDustHollow New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Delaware
    So I went out to do the night feeding and i saw three rats! I know this was about mice, so any bigger ideas?
    I refuse to use poison, and the zapper is def. out of my college budget. I have a three week old pygmy baby, so I'm not sure about the snap traps, he's not the brightest.
    Gah.