The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into raising two feeder pigs in the spring. I have read every article on the first 2 pages when I searched "feeder pigs" on google. This has given me some conflicting things.
1.) do they really stink that bad? - I would make a lot out of 4-8 hog panels. this would keep 2 until about 250lbs.
2.) do they really escape that much? Using hog panels with T-posts every 4 feet ?
3.) I have read you can and can't get bacon ? my husband has a bacon addiction! so we need to be able to have bacon.
4.) is buying a weanling and raising it to butcher really cheaper then buying meat?
5.) after a few bags of "starter" can I start putting them on corn ?
6.) can they eat ground corn ?

I am thinking that I will be able to get all the corn I need from my dad. As long as he gets meat. So I figure I buy the pigs (about $60 for two), buy the starter (no more then $50 worth), then put them on corn. I have a neighbor who can butcher for me, under $100 I would think. I would give my dad 1 pig worth of meat, for the corn.

Doing it this way I would think that it would be much cheaper then buying pork ?

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
Why couldn't you get bacon? That just doesn't make any sense to me... I mean bacon goes through a process of smoking but it comes from the pig

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
1.) do they really stink that bad? - I would make a lot out of 4-8 hog panels. this would keep 2 until about 250lbs. yes, they really will stink especially if they have a mud hole. And, if you're doing this in the summer, the flies will be 10x worse than usual That should be a good size for a pen.
2.) do they really escape that much? Using hog panels with T-posts every 4 feet ? No. And, they aren't hard to get back in if they do. They will follow the feed bucket anywhere.
3.) I have read you can and can't get bacon ? my husband has a bacon addiction! so we need to be able to have bacon. Bacon is meat that has been cured. If you are butchering your own, you need to have a place to cure it or you will not have bacon, you will have pork belly. Same with ham...if you can't cure or smoke the pig's butts, you will have pork roast, not ham.
4.) is buying a weanling and raising it to butcher really cheaper then buying meat?
5.) after a few bags of "starter" can I start putting them on corn ?
6.) can they eat ground corn ? The way you are planning on doing it...yes, it will be cheaper. Yes, you can put them on corn and ground corn is best. If you want to make it even better soak the corn for at least 12 hours before feeding it...makes it easier for them to digest.

Depending on how much pork you actually eat, this may or may not be cheaper. You won't get a whole lot of bacon off of one pig...I think we get an average of 20 pounds off a 250# pig.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Hi! We have raised pigs quite a bit so here goes. When small they don't stink too bad but as they get larger and their poo gets bigger too, that is what stinks. And it can get really bad in the summer. We always get our babies in August and raise them until February. That way, the flies and the stink are greatly reduced. Our pens are made of six panels and that is plenty big enough. Mine never escaped much. Maybe a couple of times the gate got left open. They are no worse than goats. Mine were easy to catch because they got treats on a regular basis. Pigs are pretty cool. Yes, you can get bacon. You have to cut out the pork belly correctly and send it in to be processed and smoked. Different places smoke differently, so go purchase some bacon from your choice and make sure you like it. Our first processor sucked and we had a bunch of yucky bacon. The smoked hams are the same. For us, it is not cheaper to raise pigs because of the feed cost. If you have corn you should be fine. That is the main ingredient of most pig feeds. If you also feed kitchen scraps and produce, even better! They only live about six months so that is not so tough. I just ask all my neighbors for their garden culls and my pigs do really well on that and feed. They can eat corn ground or whole. If it costs you to grind it then don't. The available nutrients don't change enough to warrant the extra expense. Good luck!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Also around here, this being sort of on the edge of the Bay area... heirloom breeds and free ranging or pastured pigs (easier done with the old-style heirloom breeds) are all in vogue, and if you have your pigs out on pasture, that really reduces the stink....and cuts down on feed requirements....

·
4,328 Posts
I raise pasture pigs so they don't stink at all..mine are on the small size (American guinea hogs) we butchered our own 130 lb. hog and I cured and smokes my own bacon ...it's not that hard...look online.

·
Legacy Lane
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much for your replies guys! I am defiantly getting excited about getting one come spring :)!!

·
Legacy Lane
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So going to try that ! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts