The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on building stanchion type hay and grain feeders. The kind where the goats stick their heads threw to eat. For Nubians, how wide and high should the opening be and how high off the ground should the bottoms be? I haven't purchased any girls yet so I don't have a doe to measure. I'm building the barn and pasture before I get the goats.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Depends on if you want there whole head to go through or just noses ,if heads you probably could go like 8 inches,make adjustable slats by using screws so you can change it up if needed,if it was me I would buy a hog type panel from like tractor supply and attach to wall,up about 20 inches,this way everyone including adults and babies can reach for hay,the problem I found with the Stanton type is that you made it just right for the adults,yet the little ones can clump through and poop and pea in the hay ,makes a mess,think it over ,google hay feders,pic pop up

·
Registered
617 Posts
This I built outside,would work great inside,or half of it against a wall,but this is just hay,not for feed,not much waste with this,good luck

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Sounds like you are talking about a key hole type feeder since you said the type they stick their heads through. I don't care for key hole feeders as if you end up with a goat that enjoys hitting others they could be harmed while eating through the opening. I saw one breeders farm near here that had those and they had a few accidents and then changed feeder styles. I like the posted above hay feeder rack and you could always place a wooden feed area below it if that was the style you wanted. i keep my hay area and feeders in different spots to keep the hay dust out of the grain area though. I use the basic over the fence plastic feeders for the does lots right now and a wooden trough for the bucks. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts