Feeding 4-H wethers

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by RPC, Nov 24, 2009.

1. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Ok so I know it is still a little early but I like to have all my ducks in a row so to speak. Now I showed goats but I had no idea what I was doing, and now I have gotten my nieces into it. So my main question is how or what do I feed my boer meat wethers for the fair so they gain weight and grow. I am going to have to buy them since my does decided not to breed this year. Darn girls. Do I start out with a mostly hay diet or do I give them mostly grain. I have had goats for my nieces to show for 2 years now and thank god I found this site before their 10th year so I can learn. Year 1 we had a cross dairy wether who grew really well and then a boar wether that was a little young but it took all we had to get him to 40lbs just so we could sell him. And then this year we had a wether and doe born in febuary that the same thing happened they both weighed 45lbs at the fair in the end of june. What am I doing wrong? is it just bad genetics? or feed. They were on a 16 percent goat chow. Thanks to all who post and for your help.

2. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Did you fed any alfalfa or any other hay?

3. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

yes they got either alfalfa or alfalfa grass mix hay everyday.

4. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
  5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Wethers need very little hay and mostly grain. We had the same problem this year with our wethers. Also make sure they get lots of exercise! :wink: It really helps.

6. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Thank you for your help I think I was giving a little more hay then grain. Well I hope this year goes better. As long as my nieces have fan thats all that really matters to me.

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    your welcome and really if you have the wethers seperate from the other goats they only need a little hay evey other day to keep there rumens going. I dont know what part of IN you live in but every year we have a goat clinic in our county that any goat enthusiest is welcome to go to and you and your nieces might enjoy it...they give a lot of helpfull information..