feeding a newborn during the night?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by redwingfarmer, Jun 1, 2011.

1. redwingfarmer

redwingfarmer New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    One of our nubian does gave birth today to a beautiful little boy. It's her first kidding and the birth went smoothly. But she rejected the kid. She won't let him nurse and butts him away when he comes near. So we put her on the milk stand and held her back legs and let the kid nurse a few times today. We hope she'll start nursing him on her own.

My question is this...the kid was born this morning. Do we need to get up in the middle of the night tonight and let the kid nurse, or can we wait until morning? How many hours can we go without the newborn nursing?

Thank you!
    Christopher Fielden
    Red Wing Farm
    Swannanoa, NC

2. I would think that depends on how long you sleep at night.
    I wouldn't go really long sine their bellies are so small at first.
    Wish I knew.

Congrats on the kid and I hope mom will start being a good mom. Sounds like you are doing well by making her let him nurse.

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I know this is a bit late, but we had a kid born in Feb that had selenium deficiency, so we brought him in and gave him selenium and syringe fed him colostrum until he got strong. Mama rejected him - wasn't butting him though, but wouldn't stand for him to nurse - she had bonded with her doeling, but not him.
    I was going out every couple of hours, even at night to make sure he was nursing. She was also a FF, and finally accepted him, but I was very watchful and assisted the first few weeks making sure he got what he needed from her.
    So....I'd think every 2-3 hours for at least the first week. Someone can correct me if I am wrong though.

4. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    I usually do a late night feeding, right before bed, then just an early morning right when I get up. The only time I add middle of the night feedings is if they are particularly weak or if I hear them get up and cry in the middle of the night (I am a very light sleeper and keep newborns in the kitchen).

5. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    You might try milking her out a little to ease the tightness and see if she will let him nurse on her own. They get very sore especially right after they kid and have super tight udders.

Karla

6. redwingfarmer

redwingfarmer New Member

Feb 8, 2011
    All good information. Thank you!

7. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    If she wont let the baby anywhere near her, it may be difficult to get her to take the newborn, I have had good luck with a doe that will lick the baby and love on the baby, but is just nervous about having her teats nursed on, but if the doe is showing no mothering to the baby, I wouldn't give it much of a chance for mom to change her mind.

We do 11pm feedings and then around 6am, then two more times in the middle of the day, AFter a week we go down to 3 feedings a day, and not so late at night or early in the morning.

8. How are momma and baby? Is she mothering her and feeding her?

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... if I know my Doe is having issues with feeding her kid... I do go out and make sure the baby is fed.... :hug:

I also mentioned in the other post... that it is good to milk a little out of mom... so she is not so sore.... then she will most likely feed her kid.... :thumb: :greengrin: