Feeding a Nigierian Dwarf Wether

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Devin, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    How chunky should Toby be? He is 2 months and he's a chunk! I wouldn't say he extremely overweight, but I wonder if it is normal for him to be chunky with his breed. My nubi doeling is solid, but not chunky, doesn't look fat at all, looks perfect actually. But there is no other way to describe Toby but chunky lol! Is it normal, or should I take him off grain? Right now he gets about a 1/2 cup goat chow a day. My doeling also gets that amount. They have free choice hay and browse as well. This is not a great pic of him, it was taken with my phone, it doesn't nearly show how cute he is lol!

Attached Files:

2. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    PS: He is weaned also, not getting any milk at all. That is why I have been giving him grain. I've only owned him a week or so.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I feed growing kids 1 cup 2x a day til they're a year old and all the hay they want....When my kids leave for new homes at 2 months old, they are around 20 lbs..wethers are usually heavier. I have a 2 week old pygmy/nigi cross buckling here now that weighs 11 lbs, he is a single and has mom all to himself plus hay as well as any feed he may want to share with mom.

4. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Your 2 month old nigis weigh 20 pounds??? Wow,Toby weighs MAYBE 15 if that. I haven't actually weighed him but he's not 20 pounds I'm sure. But he's not under weight according to his stature.

5. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I have to eat my words lol! Weighed Toby today and he was 19 pounds :shocked: LOL! So at just over 2 months he is right there with yours. Gosh, he has gained a lot of weight since I got him, he was 12/13 I think just 2 weeks ago.

Weighed Bella and she is 27 at just over 2 months so she seems to be right on track!

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Once weaned and you continue to weigh them...and they are gaining, then you are feeding them right. No 2 goats are the same...Binkeys twins are 2 days younger than the single buckling and at 3 weeks the doe weighs 8lbs and the buck is 10lbs...the single is now 12lbs so it really depends on the goat baby.

7. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I know he was at least a twin, maybe a triplet. He seems pretty good size though for a mini goat lol! :laugh: He might possibly be the cutest thing I know! LOL! He is very talkative, but not loud. He is always maaaing at me when he sees me. Bella is opposit. She maaaas when she doesn't see me and is really quiet when I am there. And she can be quite loud when she wants to be lol! But she is noramlly pretty quiet. He's the talker lol!