The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a Nubian doe that was bred pm Oct. 5th. The breeder told me to feed her free choice hay and alfalfa pellets, and give her one pound 16% Noble Goat medicated pellets twice daily for the first 100 days of pregnancy. When I asked what to feed her for the last 50 days, she laughed and said everyone feeds differently. When I ask what she fed, she said it was her own concoction and too complicated to go in to. I know they need to have their grain increased but by how much? She isn't eat in the whole one pound of grain now, so I don't know how I can increase it.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Actually you don't want them to have a whole lot of grain during the last of their pregnancy so the kids don't get too big. Many feed minimal grain while pregnant as long as the doe is in good condition.

Just do a search on here and look for threads. There are a lot of threads. You will find many opinions so you will just have to figure out what works best for your farm.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
You want to watch protien in take the last month as it can cause larger than normal kids. But you also want increased calories and energy. I feed three handfuls of alfalfa pellets twice a day and bermuda hay free choice during the last month.

My girl now gets grain as a treat.. I give her maybe 1/2 - 3/4 of a cup twice a day and she is one month bred. I plan to remove grain or keep to a minimum at the last month.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Grass hay, oats and stuff like that are good for bred does

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. She hasn't been eating any where near as much as the breeder told me she was eating and I've been worried sick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts