The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! My girls have been off the bottle entirely for over almost 2 weeks now. They seem to be doing well. However, they yell ALL the time! I thought for sure once they were weaned they would stop crying for a bottle every time I set foot outside :rolleyes: If I ignore them for a good 20 minutes or so they will stop but as soon as I go in and come out again it starts all over! They are getting free choice minerals, baking soda, alfalfa/bermuda pellets, and rolled oats. They don't look hungry at all...I'm actually afraid their bellies look too big! So I guess I'm asking because I want to know if it's possible I'm not feeding them enough? :confused: I also take them on walks every evening and let them nibble on mesquite beans stretch their legs. They LOVE that, so I'm wondering if they could be just begging me for attention? Any thoughts? I'm hoping the yelling stops soon, it's driving me bonkers! :laugh:

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
How old are they, how much are you feeding them, and how often? While bottle babies love to scream and yell, it's always possible they are doing it for a reason other than attention. :laugh:

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Do they get any hay, or are they on grass? Mine are on grass, but also have grass hay available all the time and I see them eating it daily, maybe they need some hay to keep them busy.

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
I'm sure they are doing just fine. They not only want the milk but the comfort of getting the bottle. Just hang in there and don't give in.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Mine did the same thing for about 3 weeks after I weaned them and it was worse during feeding time!! Now they are noisy at times but when I let them out of the barn they quieten down immediately! I think they just miss their bottle and are hoping you will give in and give it back if the yell lol ;)

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok that makes me feel better :) They are 12 weeks old, they do always have a little bermuda to munch on and sometimes they don't even clean up all of their pellets before the next feed. They're only getting 1/2 a cup of the oats right now, but I will be adding more as they get older. Hopefully they will quiet down!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts