The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bumper crop of basil this year and after picking off the leaves to dry I am left with lots of stems. Thought I would feed them to my girls but don't want to make them sick. Is basil ok for goats? I would think so but really can't find anything online about it either way.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
basil won't hurt goats, and it's listed as an anti-parasitic (i.e. it'll help worm your goaties naturally)

my issue is my girls won't eat it....guess the flavour is too strong for them

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Just remember, everything in moderation , or at least increase the amount slowly over time to get the rumen used to the new addition: ) too much of even a good think can set off the runs...other wise Basil is a nice treat

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
What about oregano? I have some that (escaped) my herb container garden and now is taking over the world. I dug it all up because it was in my summer bulb flower garden and moved it to two spots one in the yard and one in the garden. Now those two spots have oregano the size of the original escapee (which was huge) and the original escapee that I dug up out of my flower bed has come back and is back to original enormous size. I don't want it, so if it has some wonderful anti parasitic properties for goats I would surely let Daffodil have some, once she gets over this of course.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
oregano oil is also good for parasite control, im sure the plant wont hurt a bit...again..slowly added : ) Might be good for Dafodil to have a few leaves a day : )

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
LOL TDG-Farms I gave Daffodil a small handful and she ate it like a hungry velociraptor. I think she is so hungry after all this coccidian/diarrhea. I think she would eat pasta if I would give it to her.
Between jaborseth's basil and my oregano we could probably throw a pasta dinner for the whole forum....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts