The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some beet pulp today to add a little weight to one of my does. She weighs about 60-ish pounds I would guess. She's nursing right now and after her kids are weaned I will be milking her. Wondering how much beet pulp and sweet feed (about 8 or 9% protein) to give her each day. They have lot's of browse and forage to eat, and since there is so much I only supplement with a little grass hay.

Also wondering if I could give any sweet feed or beet pulp to the bucks. They have free choice grass hay, minerals, and 2 bags of weeds each per day. (The bags are the ones you use at the store)

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Yes you can give grain to the bucks,if they are not getting any start out slow,half a cup once or twice a day and increase,I don't feed beet pulp but I would also start out with small amounts and watch there poop

·
Super Moderator
59,730 Posts
I always like to start out with half a cup. Then slowly increase. Your nursing doe should really have at least 16% protein with the goat feed though.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We were feeding 16%, but our little feed store ran out... I just though this was better than nothing! Do you need to wet the beet pulp down? It's in pellets.

·
Registered
31,414 Posts
no need to wet the beet pulp...sorry your feed store ran out of your regualr feed, be careful giving new grain...too much too fast can cause rumen upset...any time you make changes...go slow..when they get ther regular feed in..mix with what you are using now to make the transission back to it easier on them

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no need to wet the beet pulp...sorry your feed store ran out of your regualr feed, be careful giving new grain...too much too fast can cause rumen upset...any time you make changes...go slow..when they get ther regular feed in..mix with what you are using now to make the transission back to it easier on them
Thanks, will do.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, looks like I have a picky eater on my hand! She loves the new grain, but didn't touch the beet pulp!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have the same problem with beet pulp. Although i think if you wet it and put a little molasses in it it might make it more palatable. I know that sounds silly because beet pulp is made from sugar beets. But the process of sugar production takes all of it out. You might try loose beet pulp.

·
Registered
31,414 Posts
I use shredded beet pulp...goats eat it well..of couse its harder to pick out lol

Reactions: smwon

·
Registered
31,414 Posts
She loves the new grain
The only problem with that is it has low protien lol..If you stick with it you will need to add things to up that %%,,, Calf manna BOSS for example

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I use beet pulp shreds fed dry, mixed into the 18% grain ration as well as alfalfa pellets, early in lactation I mix Calf Manna and BOSS with my girls rations.... the one ND doe I have that freshened with triplets, 2 bucks and 1 doe did very well with being fed 2x a day at a rate of 3 cups 18% 1 cup BP shreds, 1 cup Alfalfa pellets, 1/4 cup BOSS and 1/4 cup Calf manna twice a day.... a so-so clover mixed hay as well. My does freshen in mid February so there is no fresh browse available so I need to supplement heavily to keep them in condition during those first weeks of lactation. This doe did not lose condition as I expected and still puts a quart in my milk pail every morning as well as has her 4 month old doeling with her thru the day :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i read somewhere that animals try not to eat gmo crops b/c they have high levels of formaldehyde. could be why your goatie doesn't want to eat it.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
My dies wouldn't touch the beet pulp pellets... Had to soak them so they would eat them then they stopped eating their alfalfa pellets unless i soaked them too... and soaking was a pain in the butt... soo I switched over to the shreds. They eat them no problem :)

·
558 Posts
Where do you buy beet pulp shreds?
Do you only use it for does in milk?

·
Registered
31,414 Posts
we got ours at tractor supply I believe...You can use them for any goat who needs a bit more than just grain..

·
Registered
979 Posts
I include beet pulp in our feed regimen. I use 2 bags noble goat, 1 bag BOSS, 1 bag alfalfa pellet and 1 bag beet pulp. It's been the highest functioning diet for our does so far. I may be upping the boss a bit for our milking doe who has trouble keeping weight on because she gives us a lot of milk...but I'm keeping the beet pellets.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Where do you buy beet pulp shreds?
Do you only use it for does in milk?
I get mine from my feed store, TSC has them too, but they carry smaller bags and it was more expensive.. Yes right now only my milkers are getting it.. my Jr's were but I have a dry Sr. in with them and she needs to loose weight, and my yearling was getting a little chunky.. so I stopped adding it to theirs.. My bucks will be getting it while in rut to help keep weight on them without over doing the grain ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
i used to feed beet pulp shreds...its not expensive. and for 50 pounds its a bunch of feed. i would Mix it in as a filler.. might do it again when i have more goats and need to stretch the feed bill...never found it to be a big weight gainer, but when i got sandy my Oberhasli...she was VERY skinny. 95 pounds..... :( so i fed her a mix of what i normally use as goat feed but added in "rice bran pellets" they ARE VERY expensive $36 dollars for 40 pounds...but..(only used 1 bag now working on number 2) Now she is 120 pounds!!!! ( : its the ONLY thing that put weight on her.. i tried rich hay,extra pellet, sweet feed, all times of goodies, but the rice bran pellet worked!

week when i got her

her back in april

i can go out and get newer photos, but this shows you the improvement with just one bag!​

1 - 20 of 60 Posts