Feeding Bred Does

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kritterkeeper, Dec 31, 2007.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Hi Everyone

You guys are so good at answering question so I have another one!

How much grain do you feed your bred does

I will have 3 breed

100% Nubian
    1/2 Nubian 1/4 Saanan 1/4 Alpine
    100% Pygmy

What should each of them be getting

On the fiascofarm site he says 3 cups a day-

Donna B

2. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I have alpines and 3 of them are bred for April kidding. Right now they are getting about a pound of dry COB a day. Some eat a lot faster and some dump the pans because they get so excited. I don't feed any alfala hay as I run our 4 pack llamas in with the goats and llamas requre a lot less protein and just a lot easier to keep. They have free choice orchard grass hay and browse. I have separated a doe and doe kid as they are on the thin side and are needing a little extra nutrition at this time. I do have blackoil sunflower seeds, alfalfa pellets, and a 14% grain that I treat the thin does with but suspect the cob is all they really need. The weather has been very cold and wet here and the mud is terrible!!!! A lot will depend if they are easy keepers or not. Everyone feeds different and what works for one person does not necessary work for another. Daily exposure to your animals and running your hand over them once and awhile will let you know if your feed program is working for you or not.
    Sue

3. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Our Alpine is due in March and by NO means is Thin-- we feed goat chow with a little shell corn, oats and sunflower seeds mixed in plus they get hay...

My daughter has been mesureing her belly since she got home from being breed (For her 4H project) and I think she was grown 9 inch around the middle

Donna B

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I follow by Fiasco Farm and my does do ok on that regimen :)

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

A lot of it epends on what your goats pasture is lie, do they live in a dry lot? do they have more then enough to keep their bellies full all day? A lot of grain just makes babies big and fat. Making it hard for mom to deliver. What kind of hay are you feeding? And how much?
    Rught now i have doe due from march through may, they are getting fed grain once a day, they get about one cup beet pulp one half cup grain and three cups alfafa pelletsBut my goats have free choice hay and pasture.
    Chrome is looking a little thin right now but im still trying to get her dried off, she is a very heavy milker and only freshened in august so is still putting her energy into her milk.
    beth

6. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    we live in the middle of Michigan- so right now everything is covered in about 12 inches of snow.. as for hay they eat first cutting

During the spring, summer and they have 2 lots one is dirt and the other is very grasses with 2 pear trees in it...

Donna B