Feeding Demi

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Jan 8, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Dum dum dum... well... I just wanna get it right!!! :greengrin:

she is 45 days pregnant (whee) that's almost 1/3 the way!!!

At the moment she is only getting hay and water - advised by my friend's mum who said she was fat.

However I dont want her to LOSE condition (oh yeah she's been on this diet for about 3 months now and seems to be doing ok on it)

so I'm wondering, should I start feeding her a little grain? Or should I leave it til the 3rd trimester...

What do you all do - this is a full-size dairy goat - hang on, let's rephrase. This is a double-size dairy goat :greengrin:

And what is your schedule for increasing feed before kidding? I dont know how many kids she is carrying, but I do know that she is definitely pregnant.

LW

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I agree - you do NOT want her to lose weight.

If she is in good condition and she does ok on the hay, I would leave her on that until third trimester. 6 weeks before kidding is when I would start on feed.

The rule of thumb I have been told with dairy goats (full size) is:

0.5kg for maintenance
    0.5kg for each litre of milk produced
    0.5kg for in-kid goatlings or 1kg for in-kid milkers
    A buck should receive the same as a 4.5L milker

This ration is split into two feeds (morning and night). Plus free choice hay or at least 1kg per goat per day.

3. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    so from 6 weeks to kidding I should give her 0.5kg of grain a day? I'll give her the 18% ration of course. :greengrin:

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thats what I'd do :shrug: but there are alot more people on here who are more experienced at feeding dairy does than I am, that may say otherwise

I also got told, along with that guideline, is how to make up my own ration (this is from an old wise dairy goat breeder lol)

(Parts by weight)
    3 parts chaff (lucerne or oaten)
    1 part bran
    1 part grain (oats, barley, wheat etc)
    1 cup soya meal

I have experimented a little with my dry does and used 20% pellets in place of the grain, and left out the soya meal. I also add for each doe, 10ml apple cider vinegar with minced garlic in it, 1ml Nutrimol, a quarter of a handful of molasses powder or about 5ml if I'm using the liquid stuff, a quarter of a handful of Livamol (a muti vitamin and mineral and molasses powder). Seems to be working alright on the dry girls. We will just have to see how anna goes on it.

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    mixing my own grain would be pretty much impossible. People just dont do that over here - unless they have a massive number of animals! (and I only have a few)

I do however usually buy a bag of soya meal and mix a little of that in the 18% ration that I buy, for close to kidding and while lactating for the first while - however long a "while" ends out being *shrugs*

The 18% ration I get has molasses in it, which the animals LOVE. I usually give vit B injections close to kidding too - just in case the molasses cause a deficiency... and also because I'm just a paranoid goat-mommy.

Since the sheep always get a 2ml copper injection 3 months into their pregnancy due to a deficiency in our area - and due also to the fact that the feed my goats get is sheep feed as you cannot buy goat specific feed here, I will give Demi an injection like that when she is 3 months along. It says 2ml on the bottle for sheep, so I'll just give her that too.

She will also be vaccinated at about 5 weeks to go (it says 4 - 6 weeks on the bottle so 5 should work =] )

and... whatever else I think of... *jiggles up and down excitedly* 105 days to go!!!

LW

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    You know whats funny, I am excited too! lol I just love Demi in all your pictures.