Feeding Goats ( In depth )

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Kass, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I'm going into winter with 2 dry doelings and 1 hopefully bred doe. Im reevaluating my feeding process and deciding what to do for the winter. Currently Im feeding Dumor dairy pellets and alfalfa pellets, as well as finishing up some Purina feed. Trying to rethink what I'm feeding and why, and to figure out what I need for the winter so I can plan ahead.
    Im interested in all of your feeding practices!

What do you feed and why?
    If you chose a brand of goat feed, why did you choose that? VS?
    If you feed alfalfa pellets, how much, and why do you feed them?
    If you mix your own, what are the amounts, and why did you choose those ingredients?
    This includes hay stretchers, protein tubs, minerals, any specific hay you invest in

So interested to see the responses!

MadHouse, -WBoergoats and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Really depends on what is available, and you didn't mention hay at all which has a lot to do with what type of grain you choose as well as stellar minerals. What is available in Ohio may not be available in your area. Make sure whatever you feed has the proper calicium to phosphorous ratio including your hay, plus enough minerals to support a healthy animal, especially during pregnancy. There is no one size fits all plan. If I were you, I would reach out to some show breeders in your area and have them help you with this. I don't mix my own feed, just because you can get this right or dreadfully wrong. There are producers of great feeds out there with decades of research behind them.

MadHouse likes this.

3. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    That's a good idea, I'll look for breeders in my area.
    It would still be cool to hear what you guys feed and why : )
    Even if our locations are different, people may have different reasons to feed a certain grain, or why they believe their home mixed feed is better than a premade grain, alfalfa hay vs grass hay, or alfalfa pellets, or hay stretcher, or minerals

MadHouse likes this.
  4. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I think we had a thread on here that was very similar to this question. That might be why not a lot of people are answering. I'll see if I can find it.

MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  5. MellonFriend

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I switched to the Blue Seal Home Fresh line of feeds this year and have been very happy. I like it because Blue Seal is a New England based brand and because they just reformulated their goat feeds with the Home Fresh line to include better mineral sources and probiotics. They also offer a medicated (for coccidia) grower pellet with ammonium chloride which is my best option for creep feeding young kids. I use their dairy feed for my does during lactation.

My pregnant does are on very good quality 2nd cut grass hay, lots of browse, and a protein tub. They will start the Blue Seal Dairy feed approximately 2 weeks before kidding to get their digestion used to it, slowly increasing from just a bite to 2-3lbs each per day when they kid.

Young does get creep feed (free choice) until about 5 months of age then they are on hay, browse, and protein tub.

MadHouse and Kass like this.
  7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Personally I like home grain rations as simple as alfalfa pellets 50/50 with oats for does. Some BOSS or field peas and barley makes an awesome addition to this!

Currently, which you can consider for dry, full grown goats, I just give grass hay, kelp, pumpkin seeds and flax meal.

Kass and MadHouse like this.
  8. MellonFriend

Are you saying you would feed does 50/50 oats and alfalfa? Even lactating or pregnant? @happybleats recommended to me something slightly different.

MadHouse likes this.
  9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    We do 6 parts oats 1 part BOSS and with each scoop of this mix we recommend 3 parts alfalfa source. Hay and loose minerals free choice.

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    @mariarose used 50/50 alfalfa pellets and oats successfully. I recommend it now and works really well on lactating goats. When pregnant, if in good condition, which they should be if you have bred them, just alfalfa hay/pellets. Add in oats slowly at the end of pregnancy and beginning of lactation.

MellonFriend likes this.
  11. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I feed Blue Seal- Goat Herd 18
    After they are bred, but not being pushed for production, I add alfalfa pellets and whole native oats to their Herd 18 and beet pulp.
    Mixed grass and weed hay (all you can get in my area)
    In the cooler temps I add warm soaked beet pulp (for a calcium and moisture boost) to their grain. I feed it warm...it probably doesn't help them any, but it makes me feel better. LOL
    Free choice minerals. I use Kent goat minerals as the options are limited.

Kass and MadHouse like this.