The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning.

My first goat arrives on Wednesday and then I'll be getting two more very shortly. I have lots of stuff to feed them, I just don't know what to give them and how much. I've purchased the following stuff:

- Kelp
- Bicabonate
- Pro Manna Minerals
- Herbal Wormer
- Goat Feed - grain 14% protein
- Hay

Also, they will be on pasture that has lots of brush and grasses.

The first goat is a pygmy wether and the other two will be Nigerian Dwarf does.

Do I offer each one its own dish or do I feed them all together?

Also, do I need to bolster with copper if the mineral supplement has copper in it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
hi!! welcome!!!

looks like you're well prepared for your new babies!

that looks like a good list of stuff that you have for them. how old are they? and are the girls in milk? that usually determines how much to feed.

I like feeding them separately, so you can make sure they're eating what they're supposed to eat and there's no one stealing someone else's food.

I think you mean copper bolus? ask the people to have them if they've bolused them already, and when they did it last. also, do you live in a copper deficient area? if not, then it should be fine that you have minerals with good copper in it. you know the signs of copper deficiency? that'll be a good gage on whether they need a bolus.

also, you'll want to worm them when they arrive. the stress of the move sometimes triggers parasites.

last thing - have you taken a walk around the brush and grass to see if there are anything poisonous there?

oh, and we LOVE pictures of goats, so feel free to post pics when you get them!

·
14,615 Posts
Welcome Slanik, how exciting, it sounds like you are prepared!
Yes, do make sure there no toxic plants out there.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Everything looks good! I would also make sure that I have LA200 on hand for any colds etc that they may come down with. LA200 is kinda the miracle drug for my herd

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I ordered the LA200 this morning. I also ordered the Copper Bolus after looking at pictures and determining that the first goat we got needs copper. This is definately a new adventure.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
it'll be a fun adventure! sometimes it will be scary, but just sit back and enjoy the ride!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts