Feeding goats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by jaytori220, Oct 12, 2010.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    I feed my goats bermuda grass hay free choice and free choice loose goat mineral. No grain. I copper bolus, deworm, and vaccinate. I have 3 does and 3 wethers. All are pets and does dont breed nor milking. They are all nigerian. Is this diet sufficient for them? :whatgoat:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds fine to me -- grain isnt necessary unless producing milk, kids or in rutt

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Are they happy and healthy looking to you? If they are of good weight and have good coat and skin condition then I'd say they're doing well.

At this point, I stopped graining my does when I dried them off, I have 3 newly bred does that will start getting grain in 5-6 weeks....with all just getting alfalfa hay and browse with freechoice minerals they are FAT. Yours are pets, not producers they really don't need grain with all you are doing to meet their nutritional needs.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep.....my 4 wethers get grass mixed hay 24/7 and what little browse there is after having a very dry summer, I do take them clippings from the trees and they have loose minerals.......my boys are fat! I only grain them a very little bit (1/4 cup) during the coldest months of winter....I don't know that they need it, but it makes me feel better. They look forward to it on cold mornings.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others...sounds right ... :thumb: .... if your goats look healthy... then you are doing the right method for your goats .... :greengrin: