The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) So I've had my a doe and whether for around a year and a half now...
the whole time I have been feeding them strictly hay[grass and/or alfalfa] and corn.

Come to find out today that corn is not even good for them, oops! They haven't seemed to have any issues with it though.

From reading today, though, I've seen that a lot of people buy 'raw' grain or whatever and mix their own feed. Other than buying a 'goat feed' from Tractor Supply, where do you get the plain oats/barley/ect to make it? And is it even worth the trouble to make it for only 3 goats?

2) add on because I don't care to make another thread:
What 'shots' or other medical things are recommended to have on hand and where do you acquire those?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
Yep..corn is not the best thing for them..they love it but its empty calories..offers very little nutrician...
wethers dont really NEED feed...quality hay alfalfa and graze is perfect for them...how ever a little wont hurt them...keeping the raitio of calcium and phosphorus to 2:1 to help prevent urinary calculi...here is a bit on that
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/urinarycalculi06.html

Most grain mills/feed stores carry all you need to mix your own feed...
we use
6 parts whole oats
2 parts calf manna
2 parts BOSS
1 part beet pulp
mix and serve one part mix with 3 parts alfalfa pellets..a part for us is a 3# coffee can..
does and bucks/wethers dont need much if they are in good condition..not too thin,

there are quality bagged feed as well
they also need loose minerals

Meds:
I order most what I need from Jefferspets supplies, here is a very short list lol...
C D Antitoxin
Probios
Penicicllin
Tylan 200 and or Nuflor (RX)
Fortified b complex
Banamine (rx)
Pepto, human kind
Milk of magnesia, human kind

a link to show what each med is for
http://goat-link.com/content/category/4/15/168/#.UmXZQpRxte4
here is one that is a medicine chest list...more complete
http://goat-link.com/content/view/60/168/#.UmXZcZRxte4

·
Registered
16 Posts
In answer to your first question, I am not sure where you read that corn was not good for them. Whole shelled corn is fine in moderation. However bucks should not be given large amounts of grain as it makes them prone to urinary calculi. Most goats do fine on hay and forage without adding grain. I guess it really depends on what kind of goats you have and if they are underweight, etc. If you are milking, you need grain for the doe. Otherwise a freechoice mineral and hay should be good.
Your second question regarding shots.....everyone has their own beliefs on this subject, but here is a link on the "recommended" with alot of information.
http://www.luresext.edu/goats/library/field/dawson01.html
We use mainly herbal for our goats so I can really give anyone information on that. Hopefully someone else will be able to help.
Good luck with your goats :)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
You would have to do the math to see if its worth mixing your own. Around here most mills will only sell bulk feed. If you can actually use it all in a decent time frame is worth it.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
For me mixing my on grain doesn't involve a feed mill or a feed store for the most part. Grains are bought directly from farmers in bushel bags. Everything is mixed by hand once a week.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
1) So I've had my a doe and whether for around a year and a half now...
the whole time I have been feeding them strictly hay[grass and/or alfalfa] and corn.

Come to find out today that corn is not even good for them, oops! They haven't seemed to have any issues with it though.

From reading today, though, I've seen that a lot of people buy 'raw' grain or whatever and mix their own feed. Other than buying a 'goat feed' from Tractor Supply, where do you get the plain oats/barley/ect to make it? And is it even worth the trouble to make it for only 3 goats?

2) add on because I don't care to make another thread:
What 'shots' or other medical things are recommended to have on hand and where do you acquire those?

Thanks in advance!
There is nothing wrong with feeding corn to goats, although it can be hard on their teeth. Corn is a high energy feed, and carries a protein content of 8%. If you choose to continue feeding it, I would suggest cracked corn.

If you choose to mix your own feed, the individual grains can be bought through a grain mill. Be advised that the smallest allotment is probably going to be a 50 lb bag, and could be 80 lb bag. That is the way it is here, at least. You also have the option of buying preformulated bags of feed such as ADM, Essential, Blue Seal, or Purina. I would suggest staying away from Purina, however. Their feed has a tendency to vary too much for my liking, and I just plain old don't like Purina. For 3 goats, you would be better off to find a preformulated feed that meets your needs, or sticking with the corn.

As far as shots, the only thing I vaccinate for is Tetanus prior to banding. I use Tetanus anti-toxin and I either get it from my vet or at a local farm supply store. I used to vaccinate for CD&T, but noticed I still lost kids. Since I quit, I still lose the the same 1 or 2 kids I lost when vaccinating. It just isn't worth the effort and time to me.

PS If your hay is tested and you know what it is bringing to the table as far as nutrition goes, chances are good you may not have to feed grain at all. I do not feed grain - not even to lactating does - but my hay is tested and I know what it is providing nutrition wise.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More Questions!

Thanks guys! For meds & such, is Jeffers the cheapest? I've also been looking at Caprinesupply.com.

For registered Nigies, the kids -need- to be tattooed, correct?
What are ear tags for? When I bought my first goats the people said they had to have them to leave their farm? But show goats obviously don't have giant tags sticking out of their ears.
Where would you recommend getting the cheapest, quality tattoo kit?

And do you have any links/suggestions for milking supplies and tips?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Thanks guys! For meds & such, is Jeffers the cheapest? I've also been looking at Caprinesupply.com.

For registered Nigies, the kids -need- to be tattooed, correct?
What are ear tags for? When I bought my first goats the people said they had to have them to leave their farm? But show goats obviously don't have giant tags sticking out of their ears.
Where would you recommend getting the cheapest, quality tattoo kit?

And do you have any links/suggestions for milking supplies and tips?
I have found that Jeffers is the cheapest on a lot of things, but not always.

I can't help you with registered animals, tatooing, or whether they need to be tatooed or not. My goats are commercial, not registered.

Ear tags are a means of identifying animals in a herd, and also a means of providing tracking for scrapie. Scrapie is a wasting disease of sheep and goats. Should you ever decide to sell your animals they should have a scrapie tag. Sale barns require a scrapie tag. Scrapie tags can be a small metal tag or a premise id tag. You can get either one through the USDA for free - the phone number is 1-800-USDA-TAG. They will provide you with the tags and the applicator tool.

Hoeggers or Caprine Supply can help you with milking supplies. As for tips, post your questions on the dairy boards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts