The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my does have been eating barley and crimped oats since freshening in Feb...but last week when i picked up my grain bags from the feed store, when I got home and cracked them open they were caked with mild! I was only able to get the oats because everyone in town was out of barley (?)
When i went back to the feed store to exchange it, I made them open 5 more bags so i didn't have the same problem, but of course they were all moldy so I had no grain for my does! All I have at home is organic/local white wheat that I soak in whey for my chickens so i gave them a little bit of that in the meantime in the milking parlor. They seemed to like it alright but I have heard/read that wheat isn't good for goats so I didn't want to cause problems for them. A few days later i was able to get a hold of oats (but still no barley) but the goats want the wheat! They will only eat the oats now if I mix in a little bit of wheat, and oddly enough it seems like their milk production is up a little bit as well.
Now, being that the wheat is only locally grown and organic grain I can get here and it's incredibly affordable, it would be wonderful if i could give that to my goats instead...but i am finding too many conflicting opinions on the internet on whether this is okay or not...thoughts???? Thanks!:confused:

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Their milk production is up because wheat has more protein (14%) than either oats (10%), or barley (ranges from 7-13% depending on growing conditions). How much wheat is "a little bit"? Did you soak it before you gave it to your does?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was giving them 4 c of oats so I gave them half that amount of wheat that one day...now I am giving them a few hand fulls in their regular oat/barley ration to get them to eat it. No I don't soak ti for the goats.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Quite honestly, I'm afraid to say yea or nay. I know wheat can be a dangerous feed in that it is a very hard grain, soaks up a lot of fluid, and can cause acidosis, but I've also found a number of articles that say it's ok to feed as long as you don't exceed 25% of their daily ration. If I were in your shoes, I would do 2 things:

1) Discuss this with my vet.

2) Discuss this with a nutritionist - preferably at a veterinary teaching hospital, or a large university.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts