feeding grain to pygmies?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Aug 30, 2008.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Question from a newbie......this week I have read everything I can about pgymies (this site and others....I even bought the pygmy goat secret audio tapes) and some suggest that you should not give grain to males.......any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.....I have been giving them each a hand full a day and then I keep grass hay out at all times. I have ordered the ammonia chloride from Jeffers and I have free choice minerals out for them which to me they seem to eat often. I also have been putting ACV in their water.....which I was already doing for the chickens. We are going to see our vet next week just to have them checked out and he is going to do a fecal.....I have great farm vets, one of them deals with goats....he is going to casterate them for me, once the weather cools down a bit....when visiting with him yesterday, I didn't think to ask about grain feeding
    Thanks, Denise

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    you can feed grain to males but they dont require a whole lot since they wont be breeding any girls. A little each day wont hurt them, kind of like a treat.

Everything that you are doing is great!!!

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Like alyssa said, a handful here and there is alright like as a treat. The biggest problem is too much in their diet, especially for pygmies, they are not working to do anything. A buck is breeding, during the rut season my bucks get a bit of grain to keep them in condition, but other then that they just get a good quality alfalfa orchard grass mix hay and pasture.
    beth

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My pygmy and nigerian bucks have always gotten grain daily...not as much as the girls but enough to keep them in condition. I also use the ammonium chloride in their minerals as well as browse and grass hay. Never had an issue yet with stones or ill health :greengrin:

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We also give grain to all of our pygmies every day. We don't have a buck anymore but when we did, he would get about a cup a day, (it seemed like he was always in rut and keeping him in condition required a good amount of grain but not too much). Sounds like you have a nice home for your goats! You're doing everything right! :) Our wether got 1/2 cup of grain a day, that kept him in good condition along with his free-choice grass hay, no alfalfa. Enjoy your goats!