The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We built this hay feeder, and they love it!! So before that they were getting a cup each twice a day...now that they have hay all the time, should we cut back on the pellets to once a cup each once a day?

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!! We were just putting hay in a bucket, and they were wasting so much so we had to figure something out! I think they're a lot happier with this, definitely quieter! They are 6 month old does!

·
Super Moderator
59,770 Posts
I would just feed 1 cup of feed per day. I'm assuming the hay will be out 24/7 now. Nice feeder! :thumbup:

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Thank you!! So should I split it into 1/2 cup twice a day or does it matter? Lol
It doesn't matter. I've fed grain/pellets in the morning and in the evening and, so long as they are used to the amount, I've had no problems. The only rule of thumb, so to speak, is hay before grain/pellets.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
yes nice feeder..how about more pix of that :D

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Meant to post this after my last post. My goats will only eat the green leafy parts of the hay and a bit of the stem. SO every few days I need to go out there and remove the bleached long hay stems to put new hay into the feeder. Is this okay? Or should I just leave it there for them to munch on? They are so picky and finicky. I feel like they are wasting a ton, but Ill switch it out if needed.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
very well done : )

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would leave it out there. If they get really hungry they'd eat it(my theory) haha, but id check on it and change it if you feel it needs to be! What kind of hay do you feed them? We had ours on alfalfa hay and they completely stopped eating it so we switched and they love it!

·
8,378 Posts
Neat hay feeder! I think I can make one a bit taller for the Alpines and put a roof on it! Do you mind if I copy your design for my own use?
(I don't like to use other's ideas without their permission).
Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah we have a pygmy and ND, so it's gotta be smaller! Hahaha yes, go for it! A roof would also be a nice touch!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts