The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been absorbing a whole lot on feeding goats as I try to improve what I do. One of the things I noticed is that some people feed some measure of something to individual goats. I am going to call that "rations" and it might go something like "half-cup of oats to each animal" or some such. I'm curious how those that do that, manage that. If the goat is being milked, it's pretty easy to understand as the goat can be fed specific rations while in the stand but what about the rest of the goats? Do you separate each goat out as part of the daily chores to eat its rations? Do you feed each goat the rations one at a time? I would imagine that would only work in really small herds. Do you just put in enough for each goat into a feeder and trust the goats to average the proper amount? (Say, 2 cups of oats for someone with 4 animals in the example above).

None of the people I've met personally feed like that. The most I've heard is added grains when the animal is in the stand for milking or grooming or limited add rations to a feed trough but little control on exactly how much each animal gets. Since I've read about people who feed rations, I'm curious how. With three goats, I've tried putting 3 feed buckets on different walls of the corral and adding the rations. The alpha goat will start eating at the first bucket, the second at the next, and the omega at the last but then the alpha will nose into one of the other buckets and start a game of musical buckets. Each animal will get some rations but I don't know for sure that each goat gets 1/3. I also don't imagine this will be scalable when I reach my target of 10-12 animals.

D

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
Fiasco farms has a picture on how she fed each individual goat to give an idea. You can set a feeder with a short chain and collar attached and bring each goat to their feeder..put thier collar on and then give everyone what they need. Once everyone's done eating...remove collars. If your goats wear collars already..( which I do not recommend) simply adding a small chain with D clip to hook them up works. Of course this would be alot if work if you had several goats.
We feed our milkers on the table 2 times a day even if we only milk once and share with babies. Everyone else gets massed fed. If there is one that needs more attention..we have a feed pen we put them.

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
723 Posts
See my discussion on tethering goats here:

I have just started tethering my new buck a few days ago. (I've had him for less than a month. He is from a large open herd and not used to being touched.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts