The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
I’m in north Florida. I have no grazing.(there is some but it’s grass and they don’t seem interested in it I’m guessing because they have pooped on most of it.) I have 2 goats like about 1-2 years old female. One is Sanaan the other is a different breed and is black and white and smaller. Neither is working or milking or kidding. They just eat and baw and poop How much grain? How much hay? I can’t imagine free choice! My goats would eat everything I put down. They get a flake or 2a day. They eat most of it. They whine for grain each gets about 4 cups a day. I’ve researched a lot but there are so many variables. They don’t look thin but they seem hungry ALL the time. At feed time they eat like they haven’t eaten in days.
And when do u know it’s time to deworm and what deworm is best? What supplements? I’m concerned about urinary stones and the over eating disease. They seem to be laying around more and rubbing against the fence more so I’m worried they need worming. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and thanks!
Yes they are pets. I checked their spines and I can feel the top ridge but not the sides so I don’t think they are too thin. Is sweet feed or pellets better? There are so many options regarding dewormer I don’t know which to choose. When they first got here I did a powder that went into their feed but I was worried about scours so I stopped. It’s been a while so they are probably due. They aren’t really around any other animals except my bunny and 2 dogs. They have one hut to climb on and they climb on it a lot but are probably bored. I would let them out to wander and graze more but they come up to my door and stay there pooping and peeing on my deck. So I run them off but they want inside so they keep coming back. I’m always surprised that they would rather come inside than go graze and eat. Their pen is sufficient for 2 goats but not large and they don’t seem fond of the grass -they graze a little but they poop a lot- every so often I move the fence so they can graze without it having been pooped on but they still don’t really eat it.
Is there a pelleted dewormer that is easy on goats that aren’t being used for milk or meat? Thanks for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.