The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to keep one wether (i will only keep one! i will only keep one! i will only keep one!...) to train to pack and harness from my girls this may.
i want to feed him milk a little longer then i usually would to make him nice and strong. but what about pasture? i was wondering if just pasture and a mineral block (lick) would be fine for a kid wether or if i should give him some feed.

i've never kept a wether before... :roll:
thanks!

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Kids up to 12 months need supplemental grain unless you really have a lot of pasture and it is variety like trees and brush. Otherwise they will be stunted. But only a little grain. There's a lot of info on feeding kids if you do a search here.
Another way you could approach it is to let him just have pasture and minerals but supplement him with milk as long as you have it. THis is less likely to cause UC. You can just pour the milk into a pan when he learns to drink water.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya, my pasture is about 5 acres and is like half woods half field. the second pasture (which i plan on fencing in again this summer) is about 3 acres and is field and woods with plenty of overgrowth because it has been empty for about 3 years. plus the family farm is 250 acres and i plan on going for lots of walks before he is big enough to do any actual packing.
i'm thinking i'll give him a mix of the stuff i'm growing and a bit of bag feed. ya, i bucket train as soon as the kids are smart enough to learn but i think i'll keep giving him milk longer then i would with other kids. because i'm going to be milking the two does anyway.
thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts