feeding kids

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Feb 26, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    We are pretty much giving the bottle babies free choice hay and 18% pellets and they are really putting it away. They also get 2 8oz bottles a day. They are almost 2 months old. Just exactly how much can they have. Right now they are getting around 4 cups of pellets(2 cups at a time), 1/2 flake of hay along with their bottles , this is between the 2 of them as they aren't fed separately. The pellet pan is always empty shortly after we fill it. They will eat whatever amount is put in there. Is this enough or should they be getting it in an actual free choice manner? Some of the hay they waste but mostly its eaten up. They are growing VERY well and gaining weight. I am just wanting to do this right. OH yeah, the cups are actual 1c measuring cups.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    are these the boer x kids?

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Yes thats them. They are really getting huge and putting away the food. I want them to continue growing well without over feeding or under feeding.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sounds like they are doing good. If all of their hay was gone also, then I would start adding more. Also, do you have water and minerals out for them?

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Right now they have a bottle they get water from. Bowls are a bit messy on carpet. We reill the botttle 2 or 3 times a day, not the best idea but its all I could come up with. They can drink out of a bowl though. Minerals are added to their pellets in the mornings. They also get a tiny amount of pro-bios in the milk bottles.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Like Allison said if they are "running out of hay" then give more But 2 cups right now between the two seems about right, dont want to over feed especialy since they still are getting bottles.

Your girls are just precious you are such a good mom to them! :thumbup:

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    DH just informed me that those were HIS GIRLS not mine :) Actually he is the one that feeds, and takes care of them. When I first got goats he told me that he didn't want anything to do with them. IF I wanted them then I had to take care of them on my own. Now he has decided they are his goats and even does the butt checks on the preggy ones. Hes learning more and more about goats and since he doesn't work it gives him something to do.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats awesome!!! Tell hubby "he's the man!" (something my dad says :shrug: )

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Bottle babies should get their hay and pellets ad lib (free choice). Keep that bowl topped up at all times!

When you say they get their water from a bottle ... what exactly do you mean? Dont give it to them in a bottle and teat, they need to learn to drink water from a bowl or bucket.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Keren is correct - they need to learn to drink from a bucket. Leave water in a bucket and dont give them bottles of water

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The girls drink from a bowl when they're out of the crate. When they are in the crate they have a rabbit bottle, too many bowls turned over on the carpet. They never get water from their milk bottles and milk is never put in the bowl or rabbit bottle.

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    sounds good then! :thumb: