The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing from feeding a mineral block to loose minerals. I can't leave it out free choice because we have a horse and pony out in the field with the goats and I don't want them to eat it. Can I feed the minerals on their grain? Right now they get grain once a day. How much would I need to put on their grain so they get the right amount? They are Boer goats. I would be getting the loose goat minerals from TSC. Thank you for your help!

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Not a good idea to put it on grain. The reason you have it free choice, is well so they can choose to have some or not. The loose mineral part of it is so they can easily get what they need outta it as they need it. You could also offer them a lip pan of it to em each day for a few minutes and remove it once they are done.

Its super easy to build a creep feeder type of a thing to keep the larger animals out. Even a 8'x8'x 6' high dog kennel with a large enough cut out for them to get in and out could be used. But if nothing else, 4 posts and 2 cattle panels and you are good to go. OR a simple section of fence with the zig zag walk through that you see at most live stock actions would keep out the larger animals.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I vote for a creep area that allows the free choice mineral access, A couple cattle panels with a few of the squares cut to make an opening just big enough for the goats would work.... or even a covered area outside of a field fenced area of the pen for a feeder and a hole cut big enough to accomodate a goats head :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
or even a covered area outside of a field fenced area of the pen for a feeder and a hole cut big enough to accomodate a goats head :)
You don't know about horses, do you? :laugh:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That will be the interesting thing, trying to build something that the horse and pony can't figure out how to get in, lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts