Feeding moist hay

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by OHMYKIDS, Jun 5, 2009.

OHMYKIDS New Member

May 18, 2009
    The hay bales are dry but when I put them in the feeder, even if I have something over the top, it gets moist. Is that bad? Can that cause bloat? I've been trying to put it underneath their shelter but it's on the floor and they make a mess. At times they do go to the feeder and get hay there, so they're getting the moist hay. Help, want to avoid a problem if it is a problem.

We've been having a wet week, it's very unusual for where I'm at. Usually we're very dry.
  2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    No sometimes I wet mine down if they are not drinking enough. it does help.

If it is to wet they will not eat it.

OHMYKIDS New Member

May 18, 2009
    oh okay, so it doesn't cause bloat...I guess storing hay bales wet is bad, right?
  4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    if you store it wet it molds and begins to compost :( . if its a bit moist when you feed no big deal.
  5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Storing wet hay is a no-no, as Thanatos said, it will start to rot and will get moldy, either the goats won't eat it after it has started to rott or if they do it will make them sick.
    Damp FRESH hay is fine, won't hurt them, but be sure to get rid of any that may lay in the feeder for exteneded periods as it will start to rot andbe spoiled.
  6. I think I understand it is getting wet AFTER you are putting it out. That is fine if before and black mold comes, as posted it can make your goats sick and can even kill a goat if eaten enough of.

However, don't panic as it seems you are doing just fine from your post. Once fed if it gets wet, it is fine and can also cut down on the dust in the hay at times.

Hope that helps.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others... :thumbup: ....but if you are storing it wet.......and letting it sit for days then trying to feed it.....it is definitely a no....no ..........it will mold ......... :hug: