Feeding my 4 month old Pygmy wethers

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Brittany Dodge, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Brittany Dodge

Brittany Dodge New Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Ohio
    Hi everyone!! Brand new to the goat spot. Recently got 2 Pygmy weathers. 4 months old at this time. Currently feeding what the breeder told me, see attached feed tag. Also just switched to manna pro goat mineral as they did not touch the purina brand. My question is, based on what I’m feeding now, can I add alfalfa pellets to get closer to the 2:1 ratio? Considering they are still young, at what age should I quit grain? Should I switch to a different grain all together to get the 2:1 ratio? The also do not have any interest in hay at this time as the browse from approx 8am-6pm. I’ve read so many conflicting things about feeding weathers, hoping to get some good info from this group. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

How much are you feeding them?

toth boer goats likes this.

3. Brittany Dodge

Aug 10, 2020
    Ohio
  4. Brittany Dodge

Aug 10, 2020
    Ohio
    Or a little bit more twice a day

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You could add alfalfa pellets with that. I'm not impressed at all with it but you may as well finish the bag. Half a cup twice a day is fine. Really you could wean them off grain when you are done with the bag.

6. Brittany Dodge

Aug 10, 2020
    Ohio
    Would you recommend slowly introducing the pellets and then completely switching to them and also giving grassy hay like orchard? Is 1/2 cup alfalfa pellets each about all they need?

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Oooh goody, wether diets! This is my jam!!

What kind of hay do you feed?

What is your water source? i.e. well water, city water, is it hard? Any white residue on dishes and sinks ? Sulfur smell? Orange/iron stains on bathtubs and sinks?

8. Brittany Dodge

Aug 10, 2020
    Ohio
    Ive been attempting to give them an alfalfa mix hay with no luck, have gotten from two different people with no luck. I’ve psychically seen them touch it once. But they also have access to browse all day.

water is well water. When we moved in there were stains on bath tubs and sinks. But we now have a softener.

9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Do they drink the softened water?

I would say if so, alfalfa pellets are probably safe to mix with some grain, just make sure to feed only grass hay.

As for your grain, I don’t like it - I would try and find something with little to no corn and a 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio.

I’d feed no more than 1/4-1/2 cup of grain/alfalfa pellets at each feeding.

And eventually, after 6 months to a year, you could probably cut out all grain and alfalfa and feed grass hay and kelp (or a little bit of lespedeza pellets) as your bit of calcium!

10. Brittany Dodge

Aug 10, 2020
    Ohio
    204AC915-4422-4511-90BF-72F2C5F6C20A.jpeg DB52CCAD-5F73-498A-8BD2-F8CB8F7DA26E.jpeg ADE3D17F-23F2-43F8-A682-46C90C2DE398.jpeg ADE3D17F-23F2-43F8-A682-46C90C2DE398.jpeg
    yes they do drink the softened water

would you recommend any of these feeds from my local TSC? Mix alfalfa pellets with them as well?

11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would probably prefer the dumor but my recommendation for wethers is H&H Feeds.

12. Brittany Dodge

Aug 10, 2020
    Ohio
    Would you give alfalfa pellets with the dumor?
    H&H feeds?

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Yes, I would still give alfalfa pellets. But again, not too much of either.

H&H Feeds can be bought from amazon.