Feeding my doe back her milk - interesting

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Zelda, May 24, 2009.

1. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    I had read about feeding the doe back her milk as an old tyme mastitis remedy - and since I did find a tiny bit of blood in the milk, I've been giving her a cup or so of milk on the stand for the last few milkings.

My other big issue with this doe is that she never finishes her grain and she is fairly thin.

Well, today I was shocked to find a clean, empty grain pan after I milked. She ate every morsel and apparently licked the bowl clean. I don't think that has *ever* happened since I brought her home. Even before she kidded she never cleaned up her grain.

Coincidence, or not, I was just very :leap:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    could be a Coincidence..... :wink: :wink: congrats .........happy to hear.... she ate all her grain ......you must be thrilled........that is very good news............. :leap:

3. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    I am SO interested to see if she will eat her grain this evening. Maybe I'll sneak out and offer her an afternoon snack (milk and an extra bite of grain).

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yeah...... let us know ....I am curious to....... :wink: :greengrin:

5. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    I made her a full size serving of grain for a snack and she hoovered it all down. Then I gave her a cup or two of milk, and that went down the hatch, too.

Decidedly weird for my goat!

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    woe........it is working...... :shocked: ..... that is so neat........congrats ...I like that... :leap: :thumbup:

7. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    Yeah, she ate up 3 portions of her grain today & drank at least a quart of milk. I just can't believe it!

I know this run of luck will probably end tomorrow, because let's face it: goats are weird.

:hair:

I have read that raw goat milk also cures peptic ulcers. I wonder if she's had an underlying issue...

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Glad she's eating better for you!

Funny, mine won't touch milk!

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    she may of had... peptic ulcers..... it is possible.....

true test....how did it go today?

10. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    It's hard to say. She didn't want the grain much, but did drink almost a gallon of milk. The fridge was full, so other than saving a few laps for the dogs, she got the a.m. and p.m. milk.

I do have some omeprazole (gastroguard) left over from treating a horse for ulcers a few years ago. I wonder if goats can take gastroguard? That would definitely put the ulcer theory to the test. I know how hard ulcers are on horses, it really bothers me to think she might be off her grain because of an ulcer issue. :sigh:

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is so hard to say ....if she has ulcers for sure...... :( :hug:

I'm not sure about....gastroguard............. :scratch: :hug:

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Omeprazole is the generic for Prilosec prescription. My DH takes it for bleeding ulcers due to his arthritis meds.
    I don't know if a goat should be given this, their stomach is alot different than a horses.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree with Liz....horses do have different tummies than goats....and it may not be a good idea to give it to them :hug:

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Definatkly talk to your vet about it first.
    Be carful giving her own milk to, a lot of does like their milk so much they turn into self nursers.
    beth

15. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    I did a bunch of reading about omeprazole (gastroguard). There are a lot of anecdotal reports from owners that it works in ruminants. However, they did a study with it in alpacas. The first stomach chamber is such an efficient digester that the drug got digested or broken into component parts by the bacteria in the first chamber before it could be absorbed in the blood stream, which happens in the 3rd chamber. Apparently, ulcers are a widely recognized issue in alpacas - my guess is because they are so $$$. They said carafate (not an OTC) was completely effective for ruminant species, or IV omeprazole. I have seen several references that goats can get ulcers, but not anywhere have I read what the usual treatment is?

Anyway, a simple option is aloe vera juice or gel, and I have that on my shopping list. I want to try offering her some soaked beetpulp with her grain in it (she seems to like a handful of BP, so there's hope). If she will accept aloe in it, that would give her a nicely buffered grain ration and hopefully I will see her eating pick up.

BTW, she did clean up her grain on the milk stand last night. I'm in a catch-22 that it may not be good to give her back her milk, but with her not eating grain well AND losing condition, I hate to withhold it at this point because it seems to be having a positive affect.

I also followed the breeder recommendation and bolused her yesterday. Good girl ate it in a marshmallow.

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like you have really done some research!

Glad to hear that her appetite has picked up as well.
    In reference to sparks note on her becoming a self nurser, that may happen or it may not.....I have a doe that does that and I never fed her back her milk...though she did still nurse from her mom at 3 years old/ I had to take the self nurser to my moms to wean her from my Boots, when the self nurser freshened she didn't touch her own teats until the babies were 5-6 weeks old, then she started it...I had ALOT of trouble dealing with it and when I finally was able to prevent her from reaching her own teats she started to dry up.

I don't think you'll have an issue with your doe doing that, but if you do, I have a remedy for it!

17. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    short followup: she ate all her usual grain again this morning (hooray!), and then ate about a half cup of soaked BP & half cup grain. No milk for her this morning, I need to take it all to town today.

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She's doing great! Perseverence and a caring heart gets you awesome results! :thumbup: :hug:

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :leap: :leap: you have been doing a great job ....with her..... :greengrin: :thumbup:

20. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    Please let me know the remedy for it! I wouldn't be suprised if it ends up being a problem.

My doe took an aloe capsule tonight (I opened it on her feed) and she has eaten 3 full portions of grain today. That's a very good day for her. I am going to stop giving her milk, and see if an aloe capsule with each feeding of grain will do the trick.