Feeding my goats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by paulaclk, Oct 12, 2009.

1. paulaclk

paulaclk Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Firstly, let me say thank you to everyone who has helped me with my goats. I am new at this but I am learning and enjoying Daisy and Molly.

My question is about feeding. We are feeding them food we bought at the farm store which they love (cannot remember the name, it is small brown pellets). How much should we be feeding them. They are (we think) nigerian dwarf crosses. One is maybe 40lbs and the other maybe 60lbs, we have not weighed them yet so we are not positive. Whenever they see us they "talk" really loud until we feed them. Are they THAT hungry or are we just spoiling them and they have US trained....

Thanks again for all the great advice. :)

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    mine scream for me when its feeding time -- yup they train us well :p

as to how much to feed. If they are not pregnant then I say they only need 1/4- 1/2 cup of grain twice a day and all the hay they can eat

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :wink: I agree, a 1/4 to 1/2 cup am and pm with lots of hay/browse....and yes, goats are VERY schedule oriented, mine have me trained well!

4. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Paula, are you feeding the brown pellets alone or are you giving them hay too? Some people feed the Purina Meat GOat or other "complete" food and nothing else. My pygmies would get WAY too fat on that. They need hay -- or browse -- I believe. IF you can find a quality grass hay, you can feed that. Something like orchard, timothy, good bermuda, or whatever. They need alfalfa, but alfalfa is a "legume" (so are peas!) so they are higher in energy and calories, so yours may not need a whole lot for maintence.... they must be feeding threads on here, aren't here, Stacey? Liz?

Glad you've got goats, they are a ton of fun!

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Like others said hay should be the main staple in their diet (along with browse) Grain is a suppliment and should be fed in small incriments to non lactating or non pregnant animals.
    beth