Feeding Nigerian Bucks

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by SkyesRanch, Mar 9, 2011.

1. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    Okay, I know grain can cause U.C. in bucks. But, my buck does not have much forage he can eat. I have him on grain and coastal hay. I am thinking about taking him off grain and feeding him straight coastal and alphalfa. None of the grain for sale in my town contains ammonium chloride so I am cautious about proceeding to feed him grain.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok you want your bucks food intack to be 2:1 calcium to phosphorus.

Grains tend to be higher in phosphorus so if you feed grain then you should feed some alfalfa since its high in calcium. If you feed grass hay don't feed grain.

Mixing in ammonium chloride into their grain or minerals also helps to dissolve any stones that may form. A/C can be found at hoeggers goat supply. In a pinch you can use pectin yes the stuff you use to can fruits.
    hope this helps.

3. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    Okay thanks a ton Stacey! I am going to be milking this month so I will be buying Alphalfa for my milkers. If I give him coastal and alphalfa does he need grain? Or should I just keep him on coastal, no grain and no alphalfa? It seems like coastal isn't enough. I will be letting him out a couple times a week to get green stuff too.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The only time my boys get grain is in the Fall during rut and throughout the winter to help keep weight on, they also get either a stemmy clover hay or an alfalfa hay. Late Spring throughout the summer, they have pasture/browse as well as a morning serving of hay, no grain just minerals and water 24/7 and they do better on the pasture than they do all winter with the grain. And, the mineral they get is Manna Pro goat mineral with added Ammonium Chloride, I also have a 2# bag of AC on hand just in case.