The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am wondering how it is possible to raise goats on no grain or concentrates. I mean I know it is possible. I know member @ScottE has done it with success and I just wonder how it's done. Do you have to have loads of variety in your pasture? What about growing kids? I would love to achieve lower input, but I can't imagine mine doing very well without any sort of grain.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I think that variety in their forage would be a necessity in this. And also your goals for accomplishing this would be restricted to a more natural use of goats. By that I mean, not a super high volume of dairy or superfast growth of meat kids.

I don't feed grain, I'm not currently milking, and I have acres of forest and brush for them to free range on. They have minerals, salt licks, and protein blocks currently as well.

They do get some grain when I have them on the milk stand for doctoring, hoof trimming, etc. That keeps them happy to come in and be worked on.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
we went with no grain ( accept on the milk stand) this year after fencing in the pastures.
Would you assess your pastures as varied, not only in different plants, but in different TYPES of plants?

By that I mean, all grasses, or grasses and shrubs.

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Would you assess your pastures as varied, not only in different plants, but in different TYPES of plants?

By that I mean, all grasses, or grasses and shrubs.
Varied theres a nice assortment out there not a ton of grass ( they mostly save it for the calf) but an assortment of weeds & brush that they seem to love.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
So I am wondering how it is possible to raise goats on no grain or concentrates. I mean I know it is possible. I know member @ScottE has done it with success and I just wonder how it's done. Do you have to have loads of variety in your pasture? What about growing kids? I would love to achieve lower input, but I can't imagine mine doing very well without any sort of grain.
Our bucks only get half a cup each of alfalfa pellet twice a day and they are in the woods the rest of the time. They get mineral and salt also. The pellet is so we can keep them wantin to come to us. If we didnt touch and talk to one of them he would turn into the wild child he came here as and we do not want that. We do keep hay in their feeder but they only eat it when it is time to be moved... so it is pretty much the indicator on that for us.they are in a lil over a quarter acre at a time in hot wire. They do fine. But there are many different things in those woods for them to nom on. They usually are not on pure pasture grasses. In winter we bring them up close to the house for ease of totin water to them. So then they do get a bit of grain in their pellet but not much.... maybe a handful each at their feeds. Where they go then is what i consider a dry lot.... cause in winter there is not forage to be had. They do get hay then and eat it daily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts