The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the goat world. I appreciate the help that this forum has given me. My question is, I have a pen that I keep the new mamas and the babies. When I feed them, they are super aggresive and it seems they are butting and hurting the babies. Is there a solution to this "problem"

thank you again for the help.

·
Super Moderator
58,077 Posts
Can you separate at all when feeding? Could you tie each goat up so they are at their own feeding station?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
What type of grain feeder are you using? How many goats are we talking? I don't mean to be nosey, but I have found that feeding grain in the larger rubber tubs - I hate them, but they are useful in this situation - allows me to put out as many as I need, thereby allowing each mother to go to a tub with her kids. It's not going to work with 100 goats, but it would with only 5 or 10. Another option that sometimes works is to spread the grain as far and long as possible in some type of trough feeder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you GoatCrazy for the help. I have maybe 7 mamas and 15 babies. I have several of the rubber bowels as well as a small trouph feeder. my problem is all the mamas want the grain and they are super aggresive. they butt and step on the babies as they are going to the food. I thought maybe a long trouph would work.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
If you have the space, you could set up a kids feeding area using a cattle panel and a few steel posts. Cut the wire between 2 vertical spaces in a couple of places to make enough room for the kids to get through it and give them their grain in that area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts