The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had both my goats a short time both of them was being. fed sweet. feed. i bought a good quality dairy pellets it has so much. stuff. in it they. really. need. and they. refuse to eat it I've trided mixing it with sweet. feed. they still want eat ir what do i do they. really. need. this good quality dairy feed

·
Super Moderator
59,252 Posts
I agree, you need to change feeds slowly. Plus stand your ground. Eventually they will eat it when they realize that is all they are getting.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Uh oh I see trouble for myself-- our newbies are on sweet too and going to switch them to regular, better feed.... they need fattening up though.... and gobble the sweet like Hogs....

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Yep tough love. I just started adding a better grain in for my doelings who were only getting sweet feed as well. They will pick out the sweet and leave the pellets. They get no more till its all gone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what mine are doing picking the sweet feed out and leaving. the pellets my doe has. actually been pouting she will go smell the. feed and walk away and just stand around. chewing her cud then go smell the feed again like she is hopeing the pellets are gone

·
Registered
637 Posts
They need to put a warning label on the sweet feeds : Attention this may be Habit-Forming (ie you are starting your goats on CAPRINE CRACK)....

·
14,774 Posts
I'd make sure the feed smells good and fresh, sometimes you just never know - rule that out ;)We had that issue in the spring of last year, goats were picking through the feed. We ended up saying enough is enough, and switched them over to pelleted feed from the feed mill that was much closer to us.Of course, you have to mix it and slowly wean them off of the old grain. If not you can make them sick or even deathly ill, been there done that

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I agree that transitioning from sweet feed to pellets can be very difficult - that is another reason I never feed it but, sometimes they just don't like the feed and won't eat it. I had that problem with my kids last year. They had never had any other pellets/grain, they just did NOT like those pellets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts