Feeding Question - should i worry?

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by PznIvyFarm, Jul 28, 2010.

1. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I have split my does grain allowance in half for the past month, figuring less room b/c of the babies, and giving them half in the morning, half in the afternoon. For the past few days all three have been picking lightly at the grain, and not acting like their usual greedy selves. They are otherwise healthy and acting normal - peeing/pooping frequently, eating their hay, and no signs of imminent labor. Just not eating the grain. It is the same kind they have been getting, they rush over to their bowls when i go in the pen, eat briefly and then leave. They come back and pick at it later, but i don't know if they are eating it all, b/c i have a couple chickens that are able to fly over their fence, and they pop in to visit with the goats every day, and go back to their side at night. They also help themselves to the goats' grain - not usually a problem b/c the goats gobble it down quickly and push the chickens out of the way.

Should i worry?

The other oddball thing is that i had a large blue bucket for their water - the heated kind. Just hadn't gotten around to getting another one. TSC had buckets on sale last month and I got three small pink buckets, and one large blue one. (i had read a post where someone's baby goat drowned in the bucket, and thought i would get smaller buckets and put them on cinderblocks once i got close to baby time.) The problem is that the goats will not drink out of the small buckets. At first i thought it was new bucket taste or something, but they will drink out of the new large blue bucket. Do you think they care about the color?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The heat will cause them to not want to eat, mine will lay around all day just to wait for cooler temps to go browse.
    And yes, I think they are used to that bigger blue bucket....I have a 4 gallon white one I use for the does only because they refuse to drink from the pink or yellow~!

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hm.. no idea on the buckets! maybe to get them to drink out of the pink ones put something sweet like gatorade or honey in it and I'm betting they'll start to use both. I've never had a problem switching buckets.

as for the grain, maybe they realize that since they get fed twice a day, that they wont need to eat it all at once. my goats slow down when they realize they ARE going to get it again, so they'll eat slower.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    mine like the blue over the purple buckets. So I will now only buy blue buckets, isnt worth them not drinking because the blue buckets ran out :wallbang:

5. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I tried molasses in one of them last week, but they didn't go for it. I did take the blue bucket out tonight and replaced it with another pink one - you don't think they will do without water, do you? Are goats that stubborn? (TSC had a bunch of odd colored buckets on sale for $2 each and pink was the best choice - fluorescent green and orange were not appealing at all, at least to me)

6. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    Mine prefer light colored buckets... white / yellow. Weird huh

7. glenolam

glenolam New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Canterbury, CT
    Our cows do the same thing - the recognize white buckets as the grain bucket and come running. Any other color they say "eh - whatcha got there?"

PznIvyFarm - got to say your farm name makes me shiver! I'm horribly allergic to the stuff...I'm actaully going through my 3rd case this summer right now! Luckily, my goats are helping me rid of the issue, but I find it hard not to touch them when they've been foraging!

8. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    My goats seem fine on buckets, short or small. I have only had camo green or white though. I get cheap ones from the grocery store that the frosting is in, they have different sizes $1 each :)

I get poison ivy badly too. Thankfully, I have only had a couple rashes, I guess the goats really cleared a lot of it out :D

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    With the grain....have you looked at it closely and smelled it..... there was a time... I actually opened up the grain bag and there was mold I returned it and got another...it was the same way.....took it back....the store found out that the whole pallet ordered was bad........ this may be... another reason... they may not want it..... :wink:

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow! I'd be upset if I got moldy feed!!
    good thing they traded :)

11. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I picked the name because it is my farm's best crop. We have spent over 6 years trying to eradicate it, and it is still around. I get terrible cases of it every year, multiple times, despite wearing protective clothing and using every washing product on the market. It is one reason we got the goats. If i stayed inside, i'd be fine, but i'm an outdoor girl and so i come into contact with it all the time.

Goats aren't stubborn. Given no other choice, they will drink out of pink buckets :laugh: And i thought i was doing them a favor by picking such a 'girly' color.

I hear you about the grain, one time i got a bag of dog food that smelled 'off', kind of alcoholic or something, and my dog wouldn't touch it, so i returned it. It was a really expensive brand too. The goats grain looks/smells fine, and they are eating it, just not with their usual gusto. Probably just a pregnancy thing, i just worry about every little difference in their behavior right now, esp after reading the goat vet book (last section i read was about ketosis) so now i am becoming a hypochondriac for the goats.