The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this really good alfalfa hay and now my girls don't eat much of their grain anymore. But as soon as I fill up their hay feeder they are scarfing it down. Do I need to give them grain since they have the good hay?

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok great thanks! I'm also a little confused about my buck. Should I give him alfalfa or just grass hay? I was told that its too rich for males and could cause calculi.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i'm not a fan of giving bucks alfalfa, it helps if you know the mineral content, but if you have plain grass hay you wont have to worry about uc or buying ammonium chloride, just my opinion

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
Yeah , in my opinion I would rather not feed any males Alfalfa, although they are your goats and the reason to ask questions is to weigh out pros and cons and create your own opinion, whether it agrees with another's or if it is unique.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Bucks are working animals and will drop a large amount of their body weight during the rut. We have feed our bucks nothing but alfalfa for nearly 20 years with never a single issue. And this is dairy quality alfalfa. Alfalfa runs typically 1.50% calcium by volume so you wanna offset with good balanced mineral mix. You can also add your ammonium chloride to the mix. Just make sure its a mineral mix and not mostly a salt mix.

Being pretty active in the dairy goat world, I might hear about UC case ever 5 years or so. Must bucks dont have issues cause their urinary tract development wasnt cut short due to castration.

·
Super Moderator
83,763 Posts
We too feed Alfalfa, with no issues. I would though, buy Ammonium chloride. Or give the buck grain once in a while, that has it in it, in case.

I do give my bucks grain, with it in it once in a while and it has worked, no issues feeding Alfalfa all the time with mine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great info everyone! I think I will go ahead and give him it in moderation. Where can I get the ammonium chloride from?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I'm also a little confused about my buck. Should I give him alfalfa or just grass hay?
Unless they are breeding, bucks do not need alfalfa hay. Since it sounds like you are feeding straight alfalfa, I would feed this buck a good quality grass hay during off breeding, transition to grass/alfalfa maybe a month to a month and a half prior to turning him in with the girls (you can achieve the same result by adding a pound of grain once a day), then let him eat what the does are eating.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless they are breeding, bucks do not need alfalfa hay. Since it sounds like you are feeding straight alfalfa, I would feed this buck a good quality grass hay during off breeding, transition to grass/alfalfa maybe a month to a month and a half prior to turning him in with the girls (you can achieve the same result by adding a pound of grain once a day), then let him eat what the does are eating.
This sounds like a perfect plan! Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts