The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody it's me again!
So a little while ago i started milking my Pygmy/Boer doe since she had premature twins. So I decided to start milking her. She gives about 1 pint in the morning and 1/4 pint at night. I feed her a 16% molasses feed, it doesn't have a lot of molasses but you can tell it's there. I feed her about 1.5 - 2 cups of it each milking. Anything I can do to have her milk more?
Thanks!
~Evelyn~

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What sort of hay do you feed? Add some alfalfa, either hay or pellets and you should see some milk increase.
Neither breed is a big milk producer, as both are meat breeds, but the alfalfa should help.
Sorry, I forgot to add that she get's free choice Alfalfa/Grass mix. Okay i was wondering about that, makes sense.
That isn't much feed for milking. With aborting, she may not get up to full capacity.
How much should I feed her per milking? Okay, thanks!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have been increasing her grain slowly, she is now up to half to three quarters of a quart in the morning!! At night she doesn't give much, so i feed it to my puppy!

So now i have one more question!
I have three lactating does, their babies are a month old. So i'm not ready to wean the babies yet, is there anyway I can milk them and still let the kids nurse? I am new to this, so any help is appreciated! :ty:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts