Feeding Schedule

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Kass, Apr 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Kass

Kass Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Hi Guys! Im curious about your feeding schedules. Do you have guidelines that you follow for all your goats? Like what you feed, and how much? at 2 months old? 4 months old? 6 months old? A year old? Do you change what you feed from when they are young to when they are adults? For Dwarfs? Full sized? I can't wait to hear all the different responses!

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I have Boers.
    So nursing kids have access to a creep feeder with all they can eat hay and grain. When I wean them they also start getting weaned off the grain. Basically they get whatever grain is left since I buy by the pallet and I don’t want any sitting there for months.
    Does when I wean kids they are allowed to free range. They just get a little hay in the morning. When the bucks are turned out all the grass In their pastures are dead and I can’t let them free range any more because I have more then one buck they are on lock down. They get just enough hay to last them almost for the full day. About the last month of pregnancy they are getting all they want hay. And when I say hay I should probably mention it’s alfalfa lol. After they kid they are still pretty much on all they can eat hay but as the grass grows they get cut down some to encourage them to eat more of the pasture. Also every pen/ goat has protein tubs available all year long. Nothing fancy but it works

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I have kinders so I would call them half sized goats. Not full, not mini, just in between :).

My feeding schedule for my does has been a 1/4 cup of alfalfa pellets and 1/4 cup of Blue seal Caprine challenger with a table spoon of black oil sunflowers seeds each. I used to feed them this in the morning around 11:00 and in the evening around 5:30, but I am trying to get them down to as little grain (concentrates) as possible so I am going to try and reduce it to just that once a day 5:30 feeding. I'm not sure it's going to work though. We'll see how their condition holds up.

My bucks, I have gotten them down to the same 1/4 cup, 1/4 cup, tablespoon formula, and I am going to try to wean them off of it entirely. I think they will do well without any added help.

All get a flake of hay in the morning and evening. Currently I've got fescue hay, but sometimes I have something different.

They get free choice Sweetlix Meat Maker minerals which they eat with relish and fight over. I would be giving them Redmond salt too if my darned amazon order would just stinking get here.

They all get Replamin about once a month or as needed, and copper boluses every three months or as needed as well.

Weekly they get what I call their "laced" food which is their normal grain ration with their herbal wormer mixed into some applesauce and then mixed into their grain. Garlic appears on laced days as well.

That might have been more information than you needed, but I guess I like talking about my feeding plan!

Kass likes this.